Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
I'm buying an iMac this week, and I really wanted a wireless keyboard/mouse, but I'm tempted by the Mighty Mouse... I read a review that said it wasn't very good, 2/5 stars..

advice?

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
I think you'd be happier with a nice wireless 2-button mouse. But it all comes down to personal preference. Go in a store that has all the different options you're looking at and try them for a few minutes.

eji

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
INW
I love the Mighty Mouse. I've been using mine for about 2 months, and every time I have to use my wife's iBook, I start clicking on mouse buttons that don't exist. I don't know how I survived so contentedly on one button for so long.

I really don't have too much trouble with the indistinct buttons, which is the negative aspect I think the revews have tended to focus on. And I like the ability to scroll both horizontally and vertically or invoke Dashboard with the (customizable) center button.

Also, with wireless, you've got to continually recharge or replenish the batteries, and there's the worrying chance that they won't work with some boot modes. What happens if you've got to boot your computer into some basic diagnostic mode and your wireless BT keyboard isn't recognized? For me, I prefer the safety of hardwired hardware.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
eji said:
I love the Mighty Mouse. I've been using mine for about 2 months, and every time I have to use my wife's iBook, I start clicking on mouse buttons that don't exist. I don't know how I survived so contentedly on one button for so long.

I really don't have too much trouble with the indistinct buttons, which is the negative aspect I think the revews have tended to focus on. And I like the ability to scroll both horizontally and vertically or invoke Dashboard with the (customizable) center button.

Also, with wireless, you've got to continually recharge or replenish the batteries, and there's the worrying chance that they won't work with some boot modes. What happens if you've got to boot your computer into some basic diagnostic mode and your wireless BT keyboard isn't recognized? For me, I prefer the safety of hardwired hardware.

Agreed. I like the Mighty Mouse. Only thing I don't like is the length of the cord. Quite short.

King-Louie

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2006
yeah the wireless Mouse is a hassle, because you have to change the batteries and mine sometimes loses connection randomly. The Mighty Mouse is preferable to the Wireless Mouse, but it's probably better that you search for a mouse not direct from apple.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Call me oldschool but I've had the same Microsoft Optical IntelliMouse for about 6 years and I have never had any problems whatsoever. No batteries, no weird layout, all the buttons I need (5 to be exact). When I get a new Mac, I'll prolly get a new Microsoft Mouse.

SpecialGuessed

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2006
London, UK
Battery Life

Hi There, I'm a newbie to all this, in fact I'm still waiting for my first Imac 20" to arrive. (COME ONE APPLE....they've been dragging their feet since the 17th MAY!!) I opted for the wireless mouse and keyboard when I ordered it and have since read all sorts of threads about bad battery life, the mouse losing connection and an array of other complaints.

Would it be worth investing more money and getting a mighty mouse as well just in case?

Someone mentioned above about certain circumstances where the mouse may not work, would a wireless keyboard not work in this scenario too?

Many thanks.

getBytesLoaded

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
SpecialGuessed said:
Hi There, I'm a newbie to all this, in fact I'm still waiting for my first Imac 20" to arrive. (COME ONE APPLE....they've been dragging their feet since the 17th MAY!!) I opted for the wireless mouse and keyboard when I ordered it and have since read all sorts of threads about bad battery life, the mouse losing connection and an array of other complaints.

Would it be worth investing more money and getting a mighty mouse as well just in case?

Someone mentioned above about certain circumstances where the mouse may not work, would a wireless keyboard not work in this scenario too?

Many thanks.

Why not buy a Mighty Mouse, and return it if you don't like it better than the wireless? I switched from a wireless to the Mighty Mouse and haven't thought about going back. The scroll ball on the Mighty Mouse is great, and the pressure sensitive buttons are easy to get used to. Everyone in my office uses them and feels the same way.

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
Personally, I love the Mighty Mouse, particularly the scroll ball, but it should be mentioned that some people have a couple of problems with it:

First, it is not a true two button mouse - it is only one physical button which determines between clicks depending on the position of your fingers. To right click, you have to lift your first finger off the mouse slightly. Many people (including me) do this naturally, but some don't and couldn't get used to this action. Also, this does not make it suitable for some games.

Second, the scroll can get clogged up fairly easily and refuse to scroll properly (usually down). This is pretty easily cleaned with a damp cloth and a bit of vigorous rubbing, but again, it bothered some people.

As I said, I love the Mighty Mouse, but it is only fair to point out that some have had issues.

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
getBytesLoaded said:
Why not buy a Mighty Mouse, and return it if you don't like it better than the wireless? I switched from a wireless to the Mighty Mouse and haven't thought about going back. The scroll ball on the Mighty Mouse is great, and the pressure sensitive buttons are easy to get used to. Everyone in my office uses them and feels the same way.

Don't iMac's come with a Mighty Mouse??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

pcortez

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2006
SpecialGuessed said:

Many thanks.

don't new iMacs come with a mighty mouse in the first place?

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
Personally, I'm a bit bummed I spent 50 bucks on a Mighty Mouse - it looks great and all, and my scroll wheel almost never breaks, but the right click option only works 50% of the time :(

However, I really like how the scroll wheel can be used as a button and how expose can be activated by "squeezing" the sides of the mouse - I never used expose before, but I am constantly using it now...

But since the Mighty Mouse comes with every new desktop mac, what do you have to lose? Try it out for a couple weeks, and if you hate it, get a wireless keyboard and mouse.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
I recommend a MX1000. Wireless with loads of buttons, ergonomic to boot and excellent battery life on rechargable batteries.

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
SpecialGuessed said:

A thought...

Using the Mighty Mouse and a wireless keyboard probably will not work very well. The wired keyboard has two USB slots so a mouse can be plugged into it, but as far as I know the wireless keyboard does not have any USB's. This means that the Mighty Mouse would have to be plugged into the computer which will use up one of the three USB slots. Also depending on the type of desk, the Mighty Mouse coard might be too short for enjoyable use.

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
I for one can't stand the Mighty Mouse. I dislike it almost as much as I dislike the old hockey-puck mouse. It's too small and it's too easy to accidentally click something you don't want (like the scroll ball button). There are many options for mice and keyboards out there that are far superior to the Apple ones. Logitech and Kensington make some really nice laser mice that have ergonomic grips and such.

JackSYi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
I like the Mighty Mouse, but I don't think the price justifies a wired mouse. Apple needs to figure it out and release a wireless model. I'm thinking maybe battery-life issues?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.