Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LostCause1087

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
I have two quick questions:

1. Why does iTunes(v6.0.4.2) mysteriously delete the album art i put for some CDs i import a few weeks after i have imported them and place long strings of numbers in the 'comments' column? (this has been driving me crazy!!!) and also...

2. Is it possible to encode mp3s with iTunes without having to import it directly from a CD?

Any help for either of these would be greatly appreciated... thanks in advance!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
LostCause1087 said:
1. Why does iTunes(v6.0.4.2) mysteriously delete the album art i put for some CDs i import a few weeks after i have imported them and place long strings of numbers in the 'comments' column? (this has been driving me crazy!!!) and also...

Weird. Are you on a Mac or a PC?

LostCause1087 said:
2. Is it possible to encode mp3s with iTunes without having to import it directly from a CD?

There's a feature in the Advanced menu called Convert To... It uses your importing settings (in iTunes Preferences) to convert selected songs to that same format. :)

LostCause1087

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
First of all, thanks so much for replying, i waited almost all day for someone to reply to this in the itunes forum and didn't get anything. I'm using a pc (hp pavilion, xp pro sp2, pentium 3 processor, 384 mb ram, 1.00 ghz). It's pretty crappy but i've had it for a while and it works okay for me. I also have a laptop that does the same thing. It's been going on for as long as i can remember... I think it might be that i have the 'keep itunes music folder organized' box checked... Although i don't see why that would make a difference... Either that or the 'enable hard disk use' box that shows up when i plug in my ipod. Those are just wild gueses though. I called apple for a second opinion and the guy hung up on me instead of telling me he didn't know. :-\ I'm about to go nuts...

LostCause1087

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
Hmm... I don't recall ever downloading any plugins... Updates yeah but plugins i'm not too sure about...

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Okay, I've been having a bit of a look around and it seems the numbers may be related to having Sound Check on, plus having corrupt ID3 tags. So, maybe try converting your ID3 tags to something more recent. :)

Most of mine are 2.2 but anything higher than that should suffice and may fix both problems. Best of luck. :)

LostCause1087

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
Thank you so much man... It's good to know there's still some good people out there :) Take care...

LostCause1087

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
Okay well so far so good (i think). It turns out most of my mp3s were already tagged with version 2.3 id3s (some were 2.2) and also the sound check box under the playback tab was unchecked and has been that way since i can remember. Anyways, i selected all my music and converted all the tags to 2.3 again just to make sure. I'll have to wait a while before i find out whether or not it worked though... i hope it did. Well thanks for your help man, i really really appreciate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.