Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yellowmunky

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
Hi,

When running either OSX or Windows XP via bootcamp what sort of programs will the macbook be able to handle well and due to its limitations not be able to handle well?

What (intensive) programs have current users been able to run well? What hasn't worked too well?

Video? Sound? Graphics? Number Crunching? 3D? etc.......

My thinking is to get a macbook now and then get an updated powermac or imac later on in the year once they have been updated.

Thanks,

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
yellowmunky said:
Hi,

When running either OSX or Windows XP via bootcamp what sort of programs will the macbook be able to handle well and due to its limitations not be able to handle well?

What (intensive) programs have current users been able to run well? What hasn't worked too well?

Video? Sound? Graphics? Number Crunching? 3D? etc.......

My thinking is to get a macbook now and then get an updated powermac or imac later on in the year once they have been updated.

Thanks,

Video. Well I have Final Cut Studio 5.1 installed and EVERYTHING (Yes I thought motion 2 would be out of the question - but runs well if you drop preview resolution down) works very well on it.

Sound, I have ProTools LE 7.1.1 Universal on my macbook too and it handles it great.

Only thing I will suggest is that with both those programmes you use an external HD 7200rpm drive to capture your video/audio.

I also installed all the extra FC5.1 media (templates, loops etc..) to the external drive too simply because they use around 20gb worth of space.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
MacRumorUser said:
Video. Well I have Final Cut Studio 5.1 installed and EVERYTHING (Yes I thought motion 2 would be out of the question - but runs well if you drop preview resolution down) works very well on it.

Sound, I have ProTools LE 7.1.1 Universal on my macbook too and it handles it great.

Only thing I will suggest is that with both those programmes you use an external HD 7200rpm drive to capture your video/audio.

I also installed all the extra FC5.1 media (templates, loops etc..) to the external drive too simply because they use around 20gb worth of space.

I've been playing with FC-Studio on my iBook G4, to see if it could be an occasional mobile capture/editing machine and it seems to be OK so far.

External drive's definately recommended and as much RAM as you can get in there.

yellowmunky

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
thanks for the above replies.

it looks like the macbook is an excellent buy then, if it can handle intensive tasks like the one's mentioned above.

MacRumorUser how are you finding having both a macbook and an imac? I am thinking of going down the same route instead of one macbook pro. Pros and cons?

Will the integrated graphics card in the macbook affect me in any way if i do not play games? The macbook will be my main work machine until the updated imacs come out later on in the year.

Will use OSX and XP (Bootcamp) on macbook.

thanks,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.