Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oddone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2005
US
I visit a lot of sites, especially https:// sites that require internet explorer. Is there a work around this? I have multiple web browsers loaded on my mac and prefer firefox since that is what I used when I had a pc. I also have safari and Opera. With all the people in the world using mac's there has to be a way to access an explorer only site with a mac. BTW, yes I have the explore 5.something on my mac but even that does not always work!

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Do you happen to have an intel Mac? You could run IE through Windows and then you wouldn't have any problems.

I guess you could try other browsers for OS X, but if Safari, Firefox, and Opera don't work, I doubt any others will. You could try: Camino, OmniWeb, and Netscape.

EDIT: I had no idea what you meant by an IE only site, until I just got one. How weird.

I assumed you meant the pages just weren't loading properly. :eek: Oh well.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
If you enable the Debug menu in Safari, you can get it to mimic other browsers. You enable this menu by closing Safari and typing the following in Terminal. :)

Code:
% defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

To turn it off again, replace the 1 at the end with a 0.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Firefox also has this plugin which changes the user agent. This means you can pretend you are using Internet Explorer which may for the site.

All of these may cause the site not to display correctly.

I would also complain to the site owner, especially if it displays correctly.

oddone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2005
US
Thanks for the info. I tried the debug for Safari. It did not work. This may not suprise anyone but me but the biggest pains in the but are the Boy Scouts and The state department of ed. I can log into their sites using a number of different browsers but when I try to upload data and/or information I can not! I have tried view as IE in both firefox and safari to no avail. These sites also do not support the older IE for mac.

So what is Camino and does it have similar problems with IE only pages?

oddone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2005
US
I downloaded and installed camino. Same issues exist. BUMMER! Camino looks nice but I think I'll stick with firefox which I have grown to love!

BTW, No I do not have a new mac intel machine. Since I just bought this machine in the fall it will be at least 3 yrs before I buy a new one. Double Bummer!

I wish more people would complain about stuff like this. I often feel like the only one.

iYooper

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2004
Ironwood
IE and websites

oddone said:
I visit a lot of sites, especially https:// sites that require internet explorer. Is there a work around this? I have multiple web browsers loaded on my mac and prefer firefox since that is what I used when I had a pc. I also have safari and Opera. With all the people in the world using mac's there has to be a way to access an explorer only site with a mac. BTW, yes I have the explore 5.something on my mac but even that does not always work!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but those websites that can only be accessed with IE were programmed to do that when the website was created. There is a bit of code that can be changed; right now it probably limits it to IE, but savvy website designers will take the "IE" ot of the code, and it'll work. I've seen this done.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
I've had good luck with Opera for a lot of IE only sites. I don't have many that I frequent that have this deficiency, but it has worked for me in the past.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.