Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wadget

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
Hey all, i hope this is the right forum to post this.

This is the story, it's kinda involved;

The internet on my PowerBook G3 OS 9.2 wasn't working properly so i was experimenting with the settings to see if that would help. I opened up "startup disk" in which you can restart disks and the like. In Startup Disk was something called "Network Disk" I chose to restart that to see if it would help. I pressed restart and a window popped up saying restarting the network disk may take a few minutes longer than normal restart. I clicked OK and the computer restarted.

This is where i encountered the problem, instead of restarting normally the computer instead just runs the loading screen for hours on end.

This screen:
DSCF0280.jpg

I tried holding down option key while rebooting and the same thing happens. I've zapped the pram and it's still just loads on that screen.

I left it restarting all night and in the morning it was still loading that screen.

Can anybody suggest what might be wrong and how to fix this? I really need help on this.

Thanks.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Unplug any network cables and then try booting whilst holding OPTION again. If you still don't get anywhere, insert the OSX discs and boot holding C. :)

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Hold the option key down for a LONG time, and once it starts displaying the available drive, be prepared to wait 10 minutes or more until it finishes doing the round and round thing. Do not restart it assuming it is frozen. It is just trying 1 million times over to find the network startup disk you told it to use.

Wadget

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
CanadaRAM said:
Hold the option key down for a LONG time, and once it starts displaying the available drive, be prepared to wait 10 minutes or more until it finishes doing the round and round thing. Do not restart it assuming it is frozen. It is just trying 1 million times over to find the network startup disk you told it to use.

Should i do this with the network cable plugged in or not?

P.S And how long approximately should i hold the option key down for?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Wadget said:
Should i do this with the network cable plugged in or not?

P.S And how long approximately should i hold the option key down for?
Not.

Hold it until the screen changes to the screen that gives you the option of which drives to boot from. Then you can release it, go have a coffee and let it finish spinning. When it is good and done, re-select your hard drive as the boot device, and proceed.

Wadget

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
I held done the option key for a long time and i never encountered a screen that gives me the option of which drive to boot from. It just goes straight to that round and round screen.

I also tried installing from a OS X cd and something very odd happened. I'll post a picture soon because i can't really explain it.

Thanks for helping though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.