Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hellodon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2006
Has anyone done this? I'm really curious on the difficulty level. I may purchase one that definitely needs the drive replaced and I know for a fact that replacing the hard drive was quite the delicate procedure so I'm thinking this may be even more difficult.

Please let me know if you've done this and how much of a pain it was. I'm afraid I may not be able to do it on my own..the last thing I want to do is break a machine that I just get.

Any advice ASAP would be GREATLY appreciated.

macuserx86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2006
It depends on the experience that you have. I will be taking apart my 12" PB to replace a dead HD and using instructions from ifixit.com. However, I have built a PC and know what I'm looking at when I get it open. If you don't feel that you are confortable enough, don't do it. There are places that will do it for you.

hellodon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2006
I've done projects with desktop PC's. I've replaced hard drives in my old powerbook 667....but from what I heard, the 12" has much more in the way so the hard drive isnt easy at all. I'm just wondering if the CD drive is along the same lines or easier. Is there an instructional page with pictures...I couldnt find anything on google. If i can take a look and read through something first I'll know if I can handle it....I'll take a look around that link you posted. Thanks. If anyone has done this specific thing, let me know.

kmarketing

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2004
Hi,

I replaced the drive of my old 12" powerbook. It's quite the task since it involves removing most of the inner components of the powerbook, before you can even get to the drive. The hard drive is not that difficult but the optical drive is definitely a journey.

The guide from ifixit is great and invaluable, especially the screw guide. If you can take your time and make sure you keep the screws on that guide, you should be fine, just take nice deep breaths.

When I first did it, it took me a couple of hours just because I was so nervous, but after it was all done, I felt a great deal of pride in my "new" powerbook.

Good Luck!

hellodon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2006
Thanks for the info. Where did you buy the drive? i found one place that is quite costly...but i'm sort of scared to try ebay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.