Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Jun 16, 2006, 10:31 AM   #1
ribbonthecat
macrumors regular

Stealing Wireless

So I just moved into an apartment directly opposite one of my University's gyms and dorms. From the front room, which faces the gym, my housemate's iBook can pick up the University's wireless signal, although I can't on my Powerbook from the back room. Is there any device we could buy that would pick up the University's wireless, and rebroadcast it, so that we could get wireless all over the house, and not pay for it (apart from the 40K we pay the university)?
ribbonthecat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 10:35 AM   #2
gloss
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to gloss
Are you telling me your College doesn't include broadband access to on-campus apartments? Or are you off-campus but nearby?

Anyway, I don't think so. Some networks support range extenders, but I believe they're hardware specific.
gloss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 10:43 AM   #3
Acehigh
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloss
Are you telling me your College doesn't include broadband access to on-campus apartments? Or are you off-campus but nearby?

Anyway, I don't think so. Some networks support range extenders, but I believe they're hardware specific.

Not sure if he goes to that school. I think he just wants to steal the signal...relay it.. so it can get to him in his backroom?
Old Jun 16, 2006, 10:54 AM   #4
jaysmith
macrumors regular

ould you use an airport extreme base to relay it?

oh ad to ayone thinking about posting something about stealing being illegal, its a school server, their bandwidth is ridiculous, so no one will care.
jaysmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 11:11 AM   #5
ChrisBrightwell
macrumors 68020

Basically, you need two devices:
- One to capture the wifi signal
- One to rebroadcast it

Personally, I'd do this:
1. Setup a machine w/ a wifi card (and ext. antenna), connect it to a hardware router via ethernet (as the WAN device).
2. Configure the router as you would any router.

The biggest point of failure will be in the machine w/ the antenna. It'll be prone to attacks and what-not, but if you harden it too much you may render your connectivity useless. Find the balance.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 11:14 AM   #6
ribbonthecat
macrumors regular

To clarify, I am a student at the University, and they do not provide broadband to off-campus housing. I am perfectly allowed to go on campus, however, and use their wireless, so I'm not sure if the title of this thread is technically correct.
ribbonthecat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 11:22 AM   #7
moonislune
macrumors regular

Try a cantenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbonthecat
So I just moved into an apartment directly opposite one of my University's gyms and dorms. From the front room, which faces the gym, my housemate's iBook can pick up the University's wireless signal, although I can't on my Powerbook from the back room. Is there any device we could buy that would pick up the University's wireless, and rebroadcast it, so that we could get wireless all over the house, and not pay for it (apart from the 40K we pay the university)?
Check this out. I use one on my network from my house to the field (quite a distance) and it works great. You can attach it directly to your airport card (make sure you have the right connector from the antenna to the airport card, or you can attach it to a wireless lan router or base station). http://cgi.ebay.com/Super-Cantenna-W...QQcmdZViewItem
moonislune is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 11:37 AM   #8
jmsait19
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to jmsait19
i thought this was one of the features of the airport express. it could be a booster point for your wireless signal. is this not correct?
jmsait19 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 11:44 AM   #9
savar
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to savar
Quote:
there are some linksys routers with opensource firmware that can supposedly turn a regular WAN router into a wireless repeater. i've never done it, but look here for more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54G

just to be clear, though, did you take your powerbook to the front room and try connecting? because it may not be position, it may just be differences in the airport card and antenna between your powerbook and your roommate's ibook. most likely its a mix of the two.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 11:58 AM   #10
timswim78
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
If you have a Titanium PowerBook, you could add an external antenna to it.
http://www.macworld.com/news/2003/04/08/quickertek/
Old Jun 16, 2006, 12:38 PM   #11
gloss
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to gloss
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsait19
i thought this was one of the features of the airport express. it could be a booster point for your wireless signal. is this not correct?
From an Airport Extreme station, I thought. I very well may be wrong.
gloss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 12:41 PM   #12
velocityg4
macrumors 68040

This will probably work well for you. http://www.dlinkshop.com/product.asp?sku=2582440
You can use this range extender to repeat most any 802.11g signal. DLink also has a heavier duty business grade model. If you are getting a weak signal you can add a high gain antenna. I would get at least 10 dbi. DLink carries both 14dbi directional and 18dbi omni directional antennas. But I would just buy one from Hawking since they are generally cheaper.
http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/...ID=32&FamID=58

Once I use to work in the networking department at Compusa and found customers got very little gain from antennas of less than 10dbi gain. As for the range extender DLink is the only big name I know of that specifically makes dedicated repeaters.

The only problem you would really have is if your college network uses one of those login programs from Cisco. You might be able to get around that with a repeater from Cisco networks, but they are expensive .
velocityg4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice