Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisatanasiu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2006
hi, i just got an iBook g3 used, it had 800mhz, 256 megs of ram, 30 gig, and had osx 10.3.9. Im new to macs, but i particularly wanted an ibook, and i found it used at a good price. i downloaded some software (acquisition) and moved some files over via usb keyboard from a pc. suddenly, it froze while stuck in screensaver, and i turned the power off. now, it just stays on a gray screen when booting, and eventually goes black for a second, then reflashes a gray screen. no mouse, no cursor. what do i do?
thanks for the help guys

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Reboot, and hold down the command (apple) and 's' key until you see a black screen with text. When the scrolling stops, at the prompt, type

fsck -f [including the space, then return]

after the disk check, and repair if necessary, type

reboot [return]

The Mac should boot. If fsck isn't able to repair the disk, you will be notified. You can try again -- sometimes this works. If not, either the disk is bad or you could try a commercial disk repair utility such as Disk Warrior.

Johnny Rico

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2005
Might just throw this out there.. if this issue persists after following IJ Reilly's advice, you might check under your keyboard to see if your serial number falls within the UV117XXXXXX to UV342XXXXXX range. If so your computer may qualify for the iBook Logic Board Repair Extension Program based on the issues you describe. You'd have to call apple about it though, or go in to a repair shop.

jrshoe80

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2008
Switching back!!! Lack of support

Might just throw this out there.. if this issue persists after following IJ Reilly's advice, you might check under your keyboard to see if your serial number falls within the UV117XXXXXX to UV342XXXXXX range. If so your computer may qualify for the iBook Logic Board Repair Extension Program based on the issues you describe. You'd have to call apple about it though, or go in to a repair shop.

Johnny,
Sorry to see that you are banned, your information is the only link that offered any kind of clarity. As a recent switcher, I have to admit, that I had high expectations with macs. I too purchased a used ibook hoping that it would meet all my needs without the 'fluff' of windows. My ibook worked great for about 2 months. I have since had all the problems listed above, and and none of the press and hold key strokes would get me a screen that was anything other than grey. Once I contacted apple regarding this, they told me that the program expired a couple months ago. So if I am going to keep going with apple, I am going to purchase a new logic board. Sorry, I am NOT going to throw any more money at this. I can't justify $380.00 to limp this machine along. That is almost enough money to purchase a new Windows based PC from any of the big companies. It takes pride to admit your product has faults, it takes dignity to make it right. Shoey

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.