Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
Earth
Okay, I usually click on Software Update by habit about once a week to see if there are any new updates.

Today, though, the Software Update says "Software Update can't find the update server. Make sure you're connected to the Internet, then try again."

I'm connected to the Internet and everything is fine except for the software update.

Any help?

Thanks for reading! :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
If it keeps happening, you might wanna try removing the Software Update preference file, named com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist. Dragging it to the Desktop with Software Update closed should suffice. Give it that hour first, though. There's no point in removing PLIST files if it's an Apple's server-side issue. :)

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
Earth
Thank you.

It worked after I dragged out the com.apple file.
Except... what do I do with this file now? Is it safe to trash it?

fereng

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2009
Still cant find the server...

hi, first of all, i've just joined the macrumors. i was searching about my problem on the internet and then i saw a post:software update can not find the server...yesss! that's what i exactly am troubling with...i tried what you said but it still can't find the server...is there anything else to do to overcome? thank you! :)

trotnixon

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2007
Maine
Same here...

trashed the com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist and server still not found. My other Macs are updating fine using the same Wi-Fi connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.