Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

g30ffr3y

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
buffalo ny
hey guys, im seeking some advise from longtime mac users/hardcore mac addicts... i would like an older mac just to have around, use for shufflepuck, oregon trail, apples apples everywhere and the like... there are a ton of vintage macs on ebay, but honestly im lost as to which is capable of what... any advice on what software runs on what is appreciated... i know i could go out to the web for info, but i trust you guys... so thanks in advance...

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
When you say an older Mac, are you talking about a first generation PPC or a 68K system? If it is 68K you are looking for, don't get anything below a 68040, and make sure it doesn't say 68LC040.

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
Color Classic or Color Classic II. At least you will have a color screen. They are nice Macs, and some people have done some interesting things with them, such as inserting logic boards from PPC systems.

Chrisnorth

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2002
Yukon, Canada
Compact Macs

If I were looking for an older B&W Mac, especially one of the original style such as the Classic, I wouldn't look any further than an SE30. They were truly great little machines!;)

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
Re: Compact Macs

Originally posted by Chrisnorth
If I were looking for an older B&W Mac, especially one of the original style such as the Classic, I wouldn't look any further than an SE30. They were truly great little machines!;)
Good idea. It all depends on whether you want color, though. At this point, though, anything other than color feels odd to work with.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Re: what should i buy...

Originally posted by g30ffr3y
hey guys, im seeking some advise from longtime mac users/hardcore mac addicts... i would like an older mac just to have around, use for shufflepuck, oregon trail, apples apples everywhere and the like... there are a ton of vintage macs on ebay, but honestly im lost as to which is capable of what... any advice on what software runs on what is appreciated... i know i could go out to the web for info, but i trust you guys... so thanks in advance...

I currently have a Mac Plus 1mb with 20 mb Apple branded HD as well as a Classic II with 4mb of Ram and an 80gb HD. I also have an SE.

they all have mouse and keyboard.

I'd be willing to sell them....

Plus. $35 plus shipping
SE $25 plus shipping
Classic II $35 plus shipping

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
I have a Mac Classic II. It's a faithful old computer, and I use every now and then. It was my first Mac, and it sits next to my iMac now.

As for games compatability, yes, you can play Shufflepuck. Some other games of note would be Rescue! (for Star Trek: TNG fans), Brickles Plus, and Gunshy.

When it comes to what model you should get, I only have one strong thought: Do not get the original Classic Mac. The Classic II is much better.

Also, I don't know if you should gat a B&W Classic, or a Color one. If you're looking for more of a collectors item with that unforgettable early Apple charm, get the B&W. If you want a slightly more useful machine, get a Color.

Finally, you asked about compatability with the MessagePad in your Newton thread. My Mac Classic, which was made in September 1992, does have serial ports, but I wouldn't count on it working with the 2000, 2100, or eMate. I don't know about compatability with a Color Classic.

Hope I was of some help. It's great to see other people collecting some of Apple's more interesting machines.

g30ffr3y

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
buffalo ny
wow, ive been on this mission all day here at my b-o-r-i-n-g "job" and its nice to see all you guys helping me out... i would be the resident macaddict among anyone i know here in buffalo ny and would love to start a bit of a collection... i found a mac classic II on ebay that has a bunch of software on it for the low low cost of nine bucks... theres still 4 days left though but i plan on sending the seller an email later on about pulling the auction... it just sucks shipping is more than the computer but such is life... warning: stupid question alert!!! could i get this thing on the net??? thanks again...

moximike... how much do you want for each of those macs???

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by g30ffr3y
wow, ive been on this mission all day here at my b-o-r-i-n-g "job" and its nice to see all you guys helping me out... i would be the resident macaddict among anyone i know here in buffalo ny and would love to start a bit of a collection... i found a mac classic II on ebay that has a bunch of software on it for the low low cost of nine bucks... theres still 4 days left though but i plan on sending the seller an email later on about pulling the auction... it just sucks shipping is more than the computer but such is life... warning: stupid question alert!!! could i get this thing on the net??? thanks again...

moximike... how much do you want for each of those macs???

Yea. $9 on ebay is pretty good. I've seen them in various used places around here for anywhere from 5-45 bucks. I'd probably wanna get at least 25-35 + ship. Shipping, I know, can be a biznatch on these-- and some ebayers really give it to you where it counts on shipping. They're complete. Just have to double check them and make sure they work, but I'm sure they do.

The Plus is kinda neat-- has the external Apple 20mb drive. Whopping huge! :) SCSI cable, original kbd and mouse. And i Have some software I can load on the drives of any of them:

PageMaker 2.0, Illustrator 88, Photoshop 1.0, Super Paint, Mac DRaw, MacWrite, MacPaint, ATM, some fonts, Clarisworks, FileMaker.... et. al.

hell, I'll even throw some old program discs in...

m

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by pyrotoaster
My Mac Classic II doesn't have a phone jack for internet.

The Classic has a Serial Port for a modem. You need a serial modem, and can find, like, 9600bauds that should work for these guys.

I think, that if you can get system 7.5.3 running on one of them, you can use a 56k Diamond Express modem with proper scripts....

But 7.5.3 is slowish on the old 8mhz processor.

8mhz though. Damn amazing if you ask me. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.