Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgargan1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
Reston, VA
Hi, I read somewhere that the battery of the iPod gets worse over time, like all batteries, I wanted to know how long that time frame is. And is it better to let the battery drain like in cell phones, or should you charge it all the time?

Oh by the way... one more day until the 17" Powerbooks is supposed to start shipping for me!! I can't wait.

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
Judging by just the fact that it is a Lithium-polymer battery, it's useful lifespan should outlast that of lithium-ion or any previous battery. I get great battery time with mine still, and I have had it over a year. I do notice sometimes that it seems to slowly drain when the thing is off.

Still for safety I gave it a long charge the first time I charged it, and drained it all of the way down. I don't know if it requires this, but I was not about to take chances with it.

I would give it about a 2-3 year lifespan without serious degredation. But I know a few batteries in the first bath of 5 gig iPods diminished rather quickly, but it seems to be fixed.

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Originally posted by timbloom
Judging by just the fact that it is a Lithium-polymer battery, it's useful lifespan should outlast that of lithium-ion or any previous battery. I get great battery time with mine still, and I have had it over a year. I do notice sometimes that it seems to slowly drain when the thing is off.

Still for safety I gave it a long charge the first time I charged it, and drained it all of the way down. I don't know if it requires this, but I was not about to take chances with it.

I would give it about a 2-3 year lifespan without serious degredation. But I know a few batteries in the first bath of 5 gig iPods diminished rather quickly, but it seems to be fixed.

given that, most seem to crap out in the 1st yr or so.

b-smooth

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2003
Gainesville, Fl
Wait a minute... your 17 inch ships tomorrow???

My iPod battery is still good after a year and 4 months. btw... where did you order your 17 in, what date were you originally quoted, has it been pushed back? Post if it ships too or what happens. REALLY REALLY WANT TO KNOW THIS>>>>

mgargan1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
Reston, VA
shipping...

I purchased the Powerbook on 1/8, and i bought it through my campus bookstore (saved $300). Anyway, I called apple, and they told me anytime between 2/27 and 3/21 (which is actually the last of my 7-10 week wait... so I'm not saying that the shipping date on my order is 2/27... I wish it were. Sorry if i got your hopes up... but I'll let you know what happens. Plus even if it does ship soon, the Washington, DC area is supposed to get a lot of snow again, which will delay shipping even more.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
the ipod's battery is good for ...uh, 500 recharges? i think. so not bad. that's years under normal use. A lot of people seem to complain about immidiate battery problems, but it doesn't affect everyone (my battery goes on and on)... and if your battery goes too bad, you can have Apple replace it...

btw, the reason the battery drains when the iPod is off... the iPod never really is off, it just goes to sleep to preserve the contents of RAM. that way it doesn't have to boot every time. According to apple, the battery will drain 5% per day while asleep.

pnw

cc bcc

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2001
nl
I don't know why everybody is complaining so much. I have had my 10 gig iPod for about 6 months now, and the battery still lasts as long and doesn't drain after a few days of not being used. Perhaps a few people have problems, and they post a lot (I would too, iPod is expensive and should work as advertised) but I don't think everyone has a faulty iPod.

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
Mine crapped out after 9 months and I'm using my 3rd ipod (5GB) right now....Why dont they just upgrade me to a 10GB?

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
I wish that they would make a replaceable battery for the iPod, so that if your battery dies for good, then you could just replace the battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.