Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Some apps I think are just hideous or cheesy looking in brushed metal so I looked around this site from a link from another thread here and found this little haxie.

Metallifizer enables you to change the look of Cocoa apps from brushed metal to Aqua and vice-versa, it's pretty funny if you start messing around with it and see what some apps like Mail look in brushed metal, heh.

Requires Application Enhancer to work.

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
there are some applications i think look really ugly with brushed metal, but i'm sorta afraid to start messing with the system. i don't know....

GPTurismo

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2001
Montgomery, AL USA
I have been using metalafizer for what, 5 - 6 months ago, or when it came out...

I love it because at first I turned brushed metal on for everything for a week, got completely repulsed by it and now have everything I can turn it off on turned off.

It hasn't hurt anything :D

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
I just think Apple should pick one or the other, that's all. There doesn't seem to be a pattern do it. Why isn't mail brushed metal? Bah.

Either way, I love the white with pinstripes. I think the brushed metal is kinda silly.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
thats neat, i love itunes brush metal but i hate safari in brush metal

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
i just have a theme that's brushed metal using duality. i love it.

i h8 the pinstripes enough not to put them on my home machine.

pascal_goguey

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2003
Re: Metallifizer: Do you have a love/hate relationship with Aqua/brushed metal?

Originally posted by vniow
Some apps I think are just hideous or cheesy looking in brushed metal so I looked around this site from a link from another thread here and found this little haxie.

Metallifizer enables you to change the look of Cocoa apps from brushed metal to Aqua and vice-versa, it's pretty funny if you start messing around with it and see what some apps like Mail look in brushed metal, heh.

Requires Application Enhancer to work.

Metallifizer is certainly an interesting gadget. However, after tryin it with Safari, I think it doesn't look nice either. The buttons at the top of the window are to close to the window bar, and therefore the layout is quite different to what Interface Builder would recommend.
By the way, when setting back to metallized, the search window is also fully metallized. I'm not sure it was different before, maybe just an
impression...

Pascal

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
I detest the brushed metal interface used in Safari, though I prefer it in QT and iTunes. I have a buddy who swears by it and constantly pushes his metal interface on me. I can't think of a faster way to run my Mac into the ground than to replace my jazzy Aqua with something so bland.

Some windows just don't look right with pinstripe - for everything else, there's Metallifizer (in reverse).

Dan

Flickta

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2002
Born in USSR
It is nice to have an alternative. Both to the Brushed metal and Aqua. something serious, maybe... I don't know. But Interface must be flexible. Must be... Argh.

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
it's hideous

Originally posted by FelixDerKater
Got a screenshot of brushed metal Mail.app?

Attachments

• mail.jpg
    mail.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 6,937

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
I actually like the brushed metal look, however, I can only take so much of it. I use a lot of Apple apps and it gets sort of annoying when all you look at is brushed metal. I think that people are able to get more and more into OS X as it continues to get better, and I'm happy that I can change my interface a lot more. "Brushed metal" will probably go out just like beige did.

g30ffr3y

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
buffalo ny
can it change the apple bar at the top to brushed metal too??? i think mail looks sweet that way... i dont like the pinstripes that much unless my desktop background is the default blue...

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
I like it but...

I like the brushed metal look as it gives Apple software that next-gen look that lesser OSs will always lack. By the way, Mail looks very good with it but I think I will wait until it officially becomes metalised. I guess my gripe with this style is that once all the metal apps are open it becomes difficult to distinguish between them on your screen. Is that a Safari window or QuickTime? It would be great if the applications in the background change colour or something like that. It would also be great if a different skin was available for non-PowerBook users. Metal may go with Titanium and Aluminum enclosures but not so with iMacs and eMacs.

GeneR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2003
The land of delusions, CA.
My thoughts too...

Originally posted by MacFan26
I actually like the brushed metal look, however, I can only take so much of it. I use a lot of Apple apps and it gets sort of annoying when all you look at is brushed metal. I think that people are able to get more and more into OS X as it continues to get better, and I'm happy that I can change my interface a lot more. "Brushed metal" will probably go out just like beige did.

My thoughts exactly... :D

New Guy

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2002
Connecticut
As a designer a neutral grey is so much better to work with. It is easy on the eyes and doesn't draw undue attention to itself. I don't want too many candy colors distracting me from my designs. The metal interface in Safari gives a nice neutral grey frame with high contrast buttons. I've found that too many of the aquafied apps I've used, like PhotoShop and InDesign, have a stark white, pinstripe frame with bland greyscale buttons that are too difficult to distinguish from eachother.

If done right I think the metal interface can be quite stunning.

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
brushed metal is nice in moderation, but i really hope that apple tries to curb the recent explosion of metal apps. the one thing i don't like about textured windows is - their texture. there was a mod a while ago that got rid of the texturing and just had a smooth gray gradient (like the drawers in metal apps) that looked beautiful. oddly enough, metal in safari really isnt that bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.