Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Colour?

• White

Votes: 44 53.0%
  • Black

Votes: 39 47.0%

• Total voters

applemax

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
OK. Ta very much to everyone in the previous thread. I have decided to get a 2GB 120GBHD MacBook. Please tell me what I have to look forward to as I am getting quite excited. BUT!: I don't really know which colour to get. So. As they say on many TV shows in the UK, "The lines are now open"

Thanks guys!

applemax

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
Yeah, this is why. I love the white, the white is Apple. But apparently there have been reports of it going yellow which I'm quite concerned about.

x86

macrumors regular
May 25, 2006
Dearborn, MI
I'm sorry to say, but I *hate* the white MacBooks. If they didn't offer them in black I probably wouldn't of bought one. Thats just me though...

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
black costs $200 more, and you don't get that much improvements to the computer...

Tanglewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
San Diego, CA
The black is a nice throw back to pre-white days, a PowerBook G3 look

pbg3-02.jpg
macbook_blk_ichat.jpg

Though I think the white is what set apple apart from all the other black and gray laptops out there over the past few years. So I'd have to say white.

x86

macrumors regular
May 25, 2006
Dearborn, MI
The white definitally sticks out more than the black, thats why I bought the black one. And yes, I do feel ripped off for doing so... but hey, whats another $150... :(

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
I love the black. Reminds me of the old powerbooks- I loved those. I don't understand the apple is white concept really :) If you prefer white, get it, if you liike black, get it. The problems with the white are concerning, and I don't really have an answer for that one.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I like both very much. If they were the same price, I'd probably lean towards black.

But for $150 more?? You'd better reeeeeally prefer the black, and I just don't feel that strongly one way or the other. If you do, then go for it.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
I payed the extra 200 for the black one. No regrets. After seeing the photos of the discoloration, it just made me not want to risk it.

Even if the discoloration might not be a huge deal, the problem is still there and the potential of having a yellow/brown macbook is real. Since Apple can tell you that they dont cover cosmetic damages or of the sort, you are pretty much left with one ugly notebook

fanbrain

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2005
So. UT
You read my mind! I was thinking of starting a thread/ poll about this very topic. I'm about to buy a Macbook, and I couldn't decide which color to get. I'm concerned about the glossy white surface showing fingerprints and hand oils etc, but wouldn't the black version show more? I need some input.

x86

macrumors regular
May 25, 2006
Dearborn, MI
fanbrain said:
You read my mind! I was thinking of starting a thread/ poll about this very topic. I'm about to buy a Macbook, and I couldn't decide which color to get. I'm concerned about the glossy white surface showing fingerprints and hand oils etc, but wouldn't the black version show more? I need some input.

The black ones are made from a different material, so no, fingerprints are not an issue. The material is like the plastic from a IBM ThinkPad...

fanbrain

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2005
So. UT
x86 said:
The black ones are made from a different material, so no, fingerprints are not an issue. The material is like the plastic from a IBM ThinkPad...

Oh goodie. I like how the black "hides" the iSight and IR port. Too bad the powercord and such are still white. I think the glowing white Apple logo against the matte black is simply stunning.

rhsgolfer33

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
I voted for white. The black seems to show more than the white, at least from what I've seen while messing around with them at the Apple store. I ordered my white 2.0ghz, 80gb, 1gig with applecare, $50 of Microsoft Office Student Teacher Edition, and free 2gig Nano about 3 days ago, im anxiously awaiting the arrival(The UPS man teased me today by delivering the Nano case I ordered). I just couldnt bring myself to pay an extra $150 just for black, sure it looks great, but IMO not $150 greater.

coffey7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2006
The black might be made of different material but don't listen to some(cnet reviewers) who say its made of bullet proof kevlar.I bought the white and it is not discolored. I didn't feel like spending the extra on a color.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.