Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

regre7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Hooray! I'm getting a Power Mac G4 "Sawtooth" for a pretty good price. It comes with 350MHz G4, 256MB RAM (1 DIMM), and a 40GB HDD. I have to replace the video card (it's dead), and I'm upgrading the RAM, and I'd like to upgrade the processor at some point in the future (a bit low on cash, still buying a MBP).

I'd like to hear recommendations on what I should get for the upgrades. Right now I've got planned:

ATI Radeon 7000 AGP (assuming that it's AGP, I'm not sure)
512MB additional PC-133 RAM

And a bit later (but I probably won't if it runs fine):
OWC Mercury Extreme 933MHz G4

I'm planning to run Tiger and iLife on it. Is the above enough?

xob

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2006
I have same computer ('cept it started out as 400mhz and it was new). I have a 1ghz mprocessor upgrade, 1 gig of ram and 128 mb of video and it chugs along just fine. I am about to get a 2ghz upgrade. I think they run about 375$. SO yea your setup should be fine but get more ram and upgrade your CPU. -->Check it out..

regre7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
Atlanta, GA
$100 + shipping from mlrproducts in the marketplace. Actually I've just claimed it, he hasn't contacted me about shipping or transferring funds yet, unfortunately he's out of town. On the day I buy something. But he lost his job and has to sell a lot of stuff, so I get a pretty good computer and I'm helping out a seemingly nice guy.

I was actually trying to get my mom to buy it, since I'm getting a MBP and the family has a 2001 Gateway (SUX0rRz, it takes about 30 seconds or more to open iTunes). She said, "I'm not buying a new computer for a long time! This one works fine!" So I'm going to use it as a desktop machine and hopefully get my family to use it over the PC, and make true converts out of them.

And seriously, the 933MHz is "more than enough"? Wow! I've got to used to Mac. I'd heard that they last longer, but I'd never imagine this!

regre7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I'm considering getting a flat panel LCD monitor to go with the PMG4, so I've looked into getting a video card with DVI out. Will any AGP 2x or PCI card work in it? Or are there certain ones that you have to use? Most of the better DVI Radeon cards are 9000 or 9250, I think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.