Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jun 23, 2006, 09:46 AM   #1
interlaced
macrumors 6502a

iBook immediately goes to sleep upon startup

I just had the LCD on an iBook go out. I had it replaced but it still won't show anything. I hear the gong and the fans spinning but nothing shows on screen. Once I believe I'm on the main screen, I realize it's already asleep. Any ideas why?
interlaced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:05 AM   #2
benthewraith
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to benthewraith Send a message via MSN to benthewraith
Quote:
Originally Posted by marissaaa
I just had the LCD on an iBook go out. I had it replaced but it still won't show anything. I hear the gong and the fans spinning but nothing shows on screen. Once I believe I'm on the main screen, I realize it's already asleep. Any ideas why?
Cuz the idiot probably connected the monitor in such a way as the computer thinks the monitor lid is closed upon bootup. Try connecting an external monitor.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:31 AM   #3
kyleaa
macrumors regular

That shouldn't make a difference, the ibook sleeps with the lid closed regardless of what is connected. Perhaps a PMU reset would help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benthewraith
Cuz the idiot probably connected the monitor in such a way as the computer thinks the monitor lid is closed upon bootup. Try connecting an external monitor.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:42 AM   #4
Caitlyn

Is your battery charged? Or if it is connected to AC power, are you sure the power is being picked up by your iBook? I had a similar problem once and it was that my DC Board failed to recieve charges from the AC adapter.
Caitlyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 09:25 AM   #5
interlaced
macrumors 6502a

Hm, I tried a PMU reset and that didn't work. The battery is fully charged (though it was charged through another iBook). I don't want to take it back to him because I'm afraid he'll mess it up again.

I have a new problem though! If the iBook is turned off and I open the lid, it powers on (way before actually pressing the power button). When it starts up and I barely start closing the lid, I get the shutdown/restart/cancel prompt and it usually shuts down on its own. I'm sooo confused.

It's out of warranty so if I need to open it up myself to adjust any connections, I wouldn't mind.
interlaced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 10:04 AM   #6
benthewraith
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to benthewraith Send a message via MSN to benthewraith
Quote:
Originally Posted by marissaaa
Either take it to the Apple Store/Genius Bar, or buy a new mac laptop.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs