Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

interlaced

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2005
I just had the LCD on an iBook go out. I had it replaced but it still won't show anything. I hear the gong and the fans spinning but nothing shows on screen. Once I believe I'm on the main screen, I realize it's already asleep. Any ideas why?

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
marissaaa said:
I just had the LCD on an iBook go out. I had it replaced but it still won't show anything. I hear the gong and the fans spinning but nothing shows on screen. Once I believe I'm on the main screen, I realize it's already asleep. Any ideas why?

Cuz the idiot probably connected the monitor in such a way as the computer thinks the monitor lid is closed upon bootup. Try connecting an external monitor.

kyleaa

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2006
That shouldn't make a difference, the ibook sleeps with the lid closed regardless of what is connected. Perhaps a PMU reset would help?

benthewraith said:
Cuz the idiot probably connected the monitor in such a way as the computer thinks the monitor lid is closed upon bootup. Try connecting an external monitor.

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2005
Is your battery charged? Or if it is connected to AC power, are you sure the power is being picked up by your iBook? I had a similar problem once and it was that my DC Board failed to recieve charges from the AC adapter.

interlaced

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2005
Hm, I tried a PMU reset and that didn't work. The battery is fully charged (though it was charged through another iBook). I don't want to take it back to him because I'm afraid he'll mess it up again.

I have a new problem though! If the iBook is turned off and I open the lid, it powers on (way before actually pressing the power button). When it starts up and I barely start closing the lid, I get the shutdown/restart/cancel prompt and it usually shuts down on its own. I'm sooo confused. :confused:

It's out of warranty so if I need to open it up myself to adjust any connections, I wouldn't mind.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
marissaaa said:

Either take it to the Apple Store/Genius Bar, or buy a new mac laptop. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.