Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jun 23, 2006, 01:31 PM   #1
lordmac
macrumors regular

replacing optical drive in g4 imac...

So I have been wiping and cleaning out an old machine of ours (a 700 mhz g4 imac) to give to my little cousin. This machine has worked for the most part perfectly through out its life but starting with with trouble with installing a fresh copy of tiger it appears that the machine stopped reading dvd discs. It will read cd's fine but simply wont see dvds that i put in , such as the ilife 06 install dvd. CD's on the other hand work perfectly. Im fairly sure its a drive problem, unless you guys think it could be something else, sense the machine has been through its paces it wouldn't be to surprising. But yeah so my question is, am i better off buying an external optical drive to use with the machine or buying a internal drive. And in either case what are the best and easiest to use drives to get for a mac. And if i go with a new internal drive how hard is it to replace the drive in a g4 imac?

Thanks ahead of time

ps. sorry for any spelling/grammer mistakes.
in fact sorry for any mistakes at all
lordmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs