Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
So yeah, I got a 1 GHz Sonnet chip. Which I installed according exactly to their instructions. I turned the Mac on. And boom.

Fire. -.-

Now I have one dead G4 chip, I'm out of the money (I wouldnt do that to the poor man and take it back on him), and I have one dead Gigabit Ethernet G4 logic board.

I've been sending emails to Support, where I get replys from a guy named Neal. He asked for pictures, I sent them out, now according to him, the managers and engineers havent said anything. This was on Monday. This is really getting ridiculious.

I bought it on Craiglist from a nice gentleman who used it a few times and it worked fine. It is still covered under their 3 year warranty because of the datecode on the board is Year 04 Week 26, and this warranty was confirmed by Neal.

Anyone else ever deal with this company and hit a dead end? I love their products, I had one of their NuBus G3 chips until I traded it to a MR member.

And just so no one says I'm lying, I have pictures. It shows the resistor that was there, until it caught on fire, melted off, and disintegrated on top of the logic board.

Attachments

• sonnet01.jpg
    sonnet01.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 58
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.