Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jun 24, 2006, 01:51 AM   #1
AliC
macrumors newbie

Adding airport card to iBook with broken ethernet port

My ethernet port broke (tripped over the cord), I had it repaired and now it's not functioning again. Rather than getting it repaired again, I would prefer to just go wireless. Is it possible to add an airport card and wireless router without a functioning ethernet port? I read on another post that an ethernet cable connection is necessary for the initial setup of the router.

iBook G3/900Mhz/Yahoo! DSL

thanks!

A
AliC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 02:52 AM   #2
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Many routers can be configured and even set up wirelessly. If you buy one that cannot, is there a way of borrowing somebody's computer for a while just to set up your router. You should only need to do it once because all wireless routers that I can think of are capable of having settings modified wirelessly.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 04:36 AM   #3
Gee
macrumors 65816

As I recall, the Airport Express is set up wirelessly - an expensive option I know, but worth it (iTunes music streaming is very sweet0.
Gee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 12:00 PM   #4
Str8edgepunker
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Str8edgepunker
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad jew
Many routers can be configured and even set up wirelessly. If you buy one that cannot, is there a way of borrowing somebody's computer for a while just to set up your router. You should only need to do it once because all wireless routers that I can think of are capable of having settings modified wirelessly.
Some Netgear routers are the only ones I know of offhand that you have to configure manually. Go with a linksys, they're really awesome.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 01:33 AM   #5
AliC
macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. It was really helpful. I'm looking forward to a life without the hassle of tripping over wires.

A
AliC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 12:56 PM   #6
jtown
macrumors 6502

Most wireless routers I've seen default to being wide open for wireless connections. Meaning you join the wireless network created by the router when you first turn it on, go to the admin page (the instructions will tell you how to do it with a browser) and you can set up the security and encryption wirelessly. Just make sure you make a note of that encryption key before you hit "apply".
jtown is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 07:37 PM   #7
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown
Just make sure you make a note of that encryption key before you hit "apply".

Good point, although most routers have a hard reset option which will return them back to their factory settings.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs