Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mopppish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 27, 2005
I love my old B&W G3 (400mhz 512mb RAM), but I don't think I have any reason to keep it anymore. I also have an old beige 266mhz G3 and the two computers in my sig. The thing is, I figured that the beige one wasn't worth ANYTHING from a selling standpoint, so I'm trying my hand at modding and will be putting only its motherboard, hard drive, and PS into a case soon to act as a 24/7 itunes server running 10.2.8 (seems to be working fine so far). I used to use Pro Tools with an Audiomedia III card in both machines, but now have a Firepod to use with both my imac and ibook. I've been borrowing a copy of Logic Pro 7 from school and will probably buy my own legitimate copy when I graduate next year, so the old copy of OS9's Waveburner Pro that I have probably won't see any use. I'm thinking of just selling the B&W G3 to a friend for $50 to get them into macs. I can't think of any other good reason to keep it or run OS9 for that matter. I mean, sure old computers and OS's are fun, but other than tinkering, what productive means are they good for? Once I graduate, I'll probably buy a new mac and use my current imac as a living room media computer... Any advice?

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
mopppish said:
I love my old B&W G3 (400mhz 512mb RAM), but I don't think I have any reason to keep it anymore. I also have an old beige 266mhz G3 and the two computers in my sig. The thing is, I figured that the beige one wasn't worth ANYTHING from a selling standpoint, so I'm trying my hand at modding and will be putting only its motherboard, hard drive, and PS into a case soon to act as a 24/7 itunes server running 10.2.8 (seems to be working fine so far). I used to use Pro Tools with an Audiomedia III card in both machines, but now have a Firepod to use with both my imac and ibook. I've been borrowing a copy of Logic Pro 7 from school and will probably buy my own legitimate copy when I graduate next year, so the old copy of OS9's Waveburner Pro that I have probably won't see any use. I'm thinking of just selling the B&W G3 to a friend for $50 to get them into macs. I can't think of any other good reason to keep it or run OS9 for that matter. I mean, sure old computers and OS's are fun, but other than tinkering, what productive means are they good for? Once I graduate, I'll probably buy a new mac and use my current imac as a living room media computer... Any advice?

Why not donate it to a charity that collects computers for underprivileged people? I'm sure they would appreciate it, and you'd get a little Karma boost.

mopppish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 27, 2005
mmmcheese said:
Why not donate it to a charity that collects computers for underprivileged people? I'm sure they would appreciate it, and you'd get a little Karma boost.
Ha! I'm a college student. I AM a charity case! :D
Don't worry- I know that there are those that have it worse. I don't get any money from mom and pop, but Uncle Sam is LENDING me all I need for now.

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
mopppish said:
Don't worry- I know that there are those that have it worse. I don't get any money from mom and pop, but Uncle Sam is LENDING me all I need for now.

Do you really need the $50 that badly? Plus, you probably get a tax receipt...plus you know that someone who doesn't have a computer will be getting a mac instead of a windows box. ;)

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
mopppish said:
Hehe, yeah you are. I say just keep the machines. The amount of money you can get for them is only good enough to fuel a week of fast food and beer. And then one day you'll think "I wish I still had my B/W."

I'm keeping my B/W 400 cause it is the first Mac that I actually bought. Up to that point my parents would always secede to my begging.

tom.96

Suspended
Jun 13, 2003
I still use a G3 400 as my main computer! Still saving up for a new imac! - so older machines can still be useful.

I would like to have a computer lab in my house, where I have it full of computers from all eras- like my Atari ST. If you had a lab you could put your macs in there!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.