Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jun 24, 2006, 08:31 AM   #1
jamesi
macrumors 6502a

ibook formatting question

i recently came up on an old 500mhz G3 ibook and was looking to sell it on ebay but need it functioning properly first. when i turn it on a lil folder appears with a question mark flashing. my mac sense tells me it needs a fresh copy of either OS 9 or 10, but im not sure how to do this. i tried using the install discs from my powerbook, but the cd rom spat them back out after spinning madly for a few. if i want to re-format, will the discs that came with my powerbook not work?
Old Jun 24, 2006, 08:46 AM   #2
skubish
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesi
i recently came up on an old 500mhz G3 ibook and was looking to sell it on ebay but need it functioning properly first. when i turn it on a lil folder appears with a question mark flashing. my mac sense tells me it needs a fresh copy of either OS 9 or 10, but im not sure how to do this. i tried using the install discs from my powerbook, but the cd rom spat them back out after spinning madly for a few. if i want to re-format, will the discs that came with my powerbook not work?
First of all using the PB disk is a violation of the user license agreement. However, they won't work anyway because the restore disks will only work on the same type of computer (Powerbooks). You need a retail version of OSX or OS 9.
iPod Nano 8GB Blue
skubish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 08:50 AM   #3
jamesi
macrumors 6502a

haha user lisence aggreement? oh you mean that thing i hastily clicked "ok" on without reading or caring about...oh yes
Old Jun 24, 2006, 09:08 AM   #4
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesi
haha user lisence aggreement? oh you mean that thing i hastily clicked "ok" on without reading or caring about...oh yes
Well, be snippy about it when people try to help you or don't.

But the discs still won't work on that computer anyways... they tend not to even work on different revisions of the same hardware (i.e. I don't think Rev. D iMac G5 install discs will work on a Rev. A iMac), let alone a completely different family.

Sell it as non-functional, buy proper install discs or a retail copy of Panther or Tiger (i.e. eBay), or use it as a paperweight.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs