Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Feb 28, 2003, 10:09 PM   #1
jiholl
macrumors member

Ti Book - PC Card or USB Memory Stick Reader?

Hi,

I have a new 1ghz Ti...want a simple and easy backup like a floppy for my Quicken data file. Have a Sony Clie as well...don't really need to Sync since I do that at work on a PC laptop....but would like to be able to put MP3s and photos on memory stick...so thought memory stick good for backup and Clie.

wondering..thoughts between PC card reader or USB connect type? Seems both just mount the Stick and you can drag files back and forth..any negatives with the PC card? is it SAFER to go the USB reader route....i.e. nothing is "inserted" into the powerbook? Seems like PC card would be simlpler in that you don't have to unplug it when you move notebook?

Thoughts? Thanks
jiholl is offline   0
Old Mar 1, 2003, 12:39 AM   #2
alex_ant
Banned

I would get the PC card. Transfer will be faster with that than with USB, there's easier access to the PC card slot than the USB port, the CPU load will be less during transfers, and if you already use lots of USB peripherals then you won't have to unplug anything to use the PC card. (Then again, if you use another PC card, that advantage will be negated.) The PC card won't be any less safe, because PC cards are designed to be inserted and removed over and over again.
alex_ant is offline   0
Old Mar 1, 2003, 02:24 PM   #3
bousozoku
Moderator emeritus

Option C.

There are a few multiple card storage readers that handle MemoryStick, CompactFlash, Secure Digital, etc. all with the same ease. The good thing about most USB devices is that you can attach them to another machine in an emergency.
bousozoku is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers