Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GhostFace

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Hey folks,

I had to send my MacBook Pro to Apple care to get fixed. I miss it so much. Anyway the case was seperating. I want to say I am not bashing Apple and some things have defects that all. I just wanted folks to be aware. I have had my MacBook Pro for about 3 weeks. I thought I could just live with it. But I couldnt so I sent it in. I have also place the pics on my Flickr Site with the notes.

Here are the picks.

Attachments

• MacBook Pic 1.jpg
    MacBook Pic 1.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 190
  • MacBook Pic 2.jpg
    MacBook Pic 2.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 216
  • MacBook Pic 3.jpg
    MacBook Pic 3.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 215

airkarol

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
I have that too, I didn't notice it when I got the computer, but when the logic board gets replaced (the part will be in tomorrow,) I'll mention it to the support company.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Hmph, when I sent my PB in for no sound (damn lightning :p) and a white spot, they said the bulges on my case were "cosmetic" and would cost $600 to replace.

Not that I really care much, I rarely notice them, and I actually made one worse.

FragTek

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Check this really quick... Take out your battery and locate the screws in the battery compartment at the front edge of the computer (they are kind of at an angle). Make sure that A) They are all there B) They're all tight. If both of those suggestions check out OK then you have a bent top panel I would reckon. There should be no way for it to bulge like that unless it got bent somehow.

doodosh

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2006
This is happening to my macbook pro as well on the left side. This also causes the latches to not shut correctly. I want to take it to the apple store tomorrow but I don't want them to tell me that this is something "cosmetic" which is bull especially since I've owned the computer for less than 2 months using it stationary in my room.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Counterfit said:
Hmph, when I sent my PB in for no sound (damn lightning :p) and a white spot, they said the bulges on my case were "cosmetic" and would cost $600 to replace.

Not that I really care much, I rarely notice them, and I actually made one worse.

How convenient, they overcharge you $1000 extra for "cosmetic" purposes, and when it gets marred through no fault of the user they refuse to fix it!

twilson

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2005
Case Separation

Yes, this happened to my 12" Powerbook.

HOWEVER, this was as a result of me holding it by one corner (as can occasionally be the tendancy) for too long. And also I'd took it apart and not put it back together properly.

My 15" Ti-Powerbook also had the same sort of thing happen to it.

But, I don't care, I'm not crying about it. It's just "normal wear and tear". These things aren't indestructible and I know that.

doodosh

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2006
twilson said:
But, I don't care, I'm not crying about it. It's just "normal wear and tear". These things aren't indestructible and I know that.

I've had the mbp for a couple of months . I never held it from one corner and it has been used in my room only. I understand that there is 'wear and tear' but I wouldn't consider the case falling apart and not shutting correctly "wear and tear".

This is my first apple computer and have fallen in love with OSX but am very disappointed in the hardware. The last notebook I had was a Sony Vaio 'ultraportable' for about 2-3 years without one problem.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
twilson said:
Yes, this happened to my 12" Powerbook.

HOWEVER, this was as a result of me holding it by one corner (as can occasionally be the tendancy) for too long. And also I'd took it apart and not put it back together properly.
I am surprised MBP's casing will twist if you are holding it with one corner of the MBP. If that is the case, I just feel MBP's casing is not strudy enough for the normal daily use. If you are using it on the road, it is difficult to carry the computer with both hands at the same time.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
doodosh said:
This is my first apple computer and have fallen in love with OSX but am very disappointed in the hardware. The last notebook I had was a Sony Vaio 'ultraportable' for about 2-3 years without one problem.

The Sonys are way sturdier than anything Apple could even dream of making. Get a new MBP, and press your palm on the palm rest, feel that creek? Sonys and Thinkpads just give you that sure feeling, period! :mad:

FragTek

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
generik said:
The Sonys are way sturdier than anything Apple could even dream of making. Get a new MBP, and press your palm on the palm rest, feel that creek? Sonys and Thinkpads just give you that sure feeling, period! :mad:
I don't feel the "creek" as you say. It's rock solid here, doesn't flex the slightest bit when I drill my palm in...

mcl

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2002
FragTek said:
Check this really quick... Take out your battery and locate the screws in the battery compartment at the front edge of the computer (they are kind of at an angle). Make sure that A) They are all there B) They're all tight. If both of those suggestions check out OK then you have a bent top panel I would reckon. There should be no way for it to bulge like that unless it got bent somehow.

Actually, that area is just ..get this... GLUED ON. Yes, ***glued***. When the case gets hot, that glue stops being quite so tacky, and that area begins to pull away. You can push it back and it'll stay, assuming the case is cool.

If you've ever opened up a MBP, it's obvious what the problem is, and what the cause is. I just got mine back from Applecare (My BT module died, had to get it replaced), but if it starts to do it again, I swear I'm just going to put a drop of gel Superglue in there and be done with it.

The screws on the inside front of the battery compartment bracket the latching assembly, they do not anchor that part of it, and thus have nothing to do with it. Further, those screws have nothing to do with the external material to begin with. They attach to the frame, not the outer shell, which is what's separating there.

There are several parts on the MBP that are literally held together with glue or tape or some other sticky substance (e.g., the BT antenna, which is under the left palmrest, right at the front of the case, is simply stuck to some double-sided foamy tape).

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
When will Apple learn? Aluminum makes a horrible material to make notebooks out of. If I didn't need the power, I'd probably be using an iBook right now.

Fourtunatly, it doesn't look as bad as my PowerBook, but be careful with it, it looks like just the beginning of a larger issue. Try to apply light pressure to the corners, it should fix the gap. (it worked for me, temporarily anyway)

GhostFace

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Update

I got my MBP back from Apple Care. Here is what they replaced:

Bottom Case Assy, w/Temp Sensor
Top Case Assy
Display Bezel Sub Assy
Clutch Barrel, Finish, MI

Above is just how it looks on the Apple Care Service paperwork. It looks a lot better, not perfect but better. I am happy with it.

Pic:

Attachments

• DSC01825.jpg
    DSC01825.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 166

jpronk

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2006
I have exactly the same problem which has caused the keys on the right hand side to rub the screen as well. It is being "evaluated" right now, hopefully they fix it soon as I need to get on with my Uni work (the reason I bought it in the first place!!)

Quite annoying considering this is a brand new machine :mad:

Jeremy

Attachments

• macbookProCaseSeparating1.jpg
    macbookProCaseSeparating1.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 185
  • macbookProCaseSeparating2.jpg
    macbookProCaseSeparating2.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 178

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
jpronk said:
I have exactly the same problem which has caused the keys on the right hand side to rub the screen as well. It is being "evaluated" right now, hopefully they fix it soon as I need to get on with my Uni work (the reason I bought it in the first place!!)

Quite annoying considering this is a brand new machine :mad:

Jeremy

I looks like it's just the rubber frame, which can be pushed down . . .

knackroller

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
My 15' PB Al has also the same issue, appeared the day it arrived, although have to admit I got mine at the refurb store, so didn't complain. So far so good, no issues after 1 year.

erikamsterdam

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2006
amsterdam
You people really have to stop whining a bit here and get real.
Airplanes are made of glued aluminium. They sure are flimsy, right?
Don't buy an Apple if you don't like their products. Simple.

jpronk

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2006
Pressure said:
I looks like it's just the rubber frame, which can be pushed down . . .

It can be pushed down a little, but it returns to the original location when you let go. The screen is now also damaged due to the left side of the keyboard moving upwards...

jpronk

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2006
erikamsterdam said:

and what does this have to do with the MacBook Pro :rolleyes:

erikamsterdam said:

My friend, I never said I didn't like there products... the build quality is the problem!

jaydub

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
erikamsterdam said:
The difference here is that I don't own an airplane. :rolleyes: Way to miss the point completely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.