Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jun 27, 2006, 01:52 AM   #1
pink-pony115
macrumors regular

Apple World Travel Adapter Kit: Is it good?

Hey-
I'm wondering if the Apple World Travel Adapter Kit was a good product. I need something that will charge my iPod nano in the UK. I read some reviews saying: the adapter will fry your iPod. Is this true or false?
Thanks for any comments!
pink-pony115
Old Jun 27, 2006, 02:16 AM   #2
netdog
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink-pony115
Hey-
I'm wondering if the Apple World Travel Adapter Kit was a good product. I need something that will charge my iPod nano in the UK. I read some reviews saying: the adapter will fry your iPod. Is this true or false?
Thanks for any comments!
pink-pony115
False. They are just plugs to fit to your existing adapter. Your adapter can cope with various voltages around the world. You can really use any adapter, but the Apple adapter is nice as it just replaces the plug you use at home with a plug for wherever you are going. I bought it two years ago and am very happy with it.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 04:10 AM   #3
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

However it is a lot cheaper (and more useful) to use a normal travel adapter, this is what i have done (including in the US) it should cost you about £3 in the UK for a US-UK adapter (at least here in Oxford it does...).

Most electrical products have the voltage options printed on them, if it goes up to 230 or 240 volts it'll work in the UK.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 05:04 AM   #4
dextertangocci
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to dextertangocci
I bought a MB from Canada, and bought the Apple world travel adapter kit to fit the outlets in South Africa. It works beautifully
dextertangocci is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 05:36 AM   #5
Applespider
macrumors 603

Depends what you're after and if you'll use it in other places too. I've got a World Travel Adaptor kit since I knew I'd end up using it in the US/Europe - and I needed a spare UK plug so it seemed like a good idea.

The Apple adaptors are smaller/neater than taking the original plug plus another adaptor with me - and, in the case of original UK 'heavy' plugs, the weight of the adaptor plus plug plus charger can make the smaller US/Eur 'fall' out of the wall. Using the Apple adaptor straight onto the powerbrick means that it doesn't.

With the standard US plug going into a UK adaptor, that's probably less of an issue.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod