Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jun 27, 2006, 07:07 AM   #1
foosa
macrumors newbie

Can I copy songs AND ratings AND playlists to a new computer?

I have had iTunes on my WinXP machine for 1 year. I just got a new XP machine and I'm planning on junking the old one. I've read a ton of posts and tips on apple.com about how to transfer files over. Since I've got a network it's no problem to just import the whole folder.

However, that doesn't bring over playlists and ratings. That will take me hours to re-create. Is there any way to do that?
foosa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 07:21 AM   #2
NeoMac
macrumors regular

I copied my iTunes folder from my iMac and pasted it into My Music folder on my Windows Laptop and it had copied everything including my playlists. I don't recall that it gave me any problems.
NeoMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 08:03 AM   #3
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Have a look through this page for the best way of getting your music across with everything intact. It's explaining the process for using an iPod so you'll be able to drop a lot of the steps and replace some with basic network folder transfers. Consolidating the library and transferring the entire iTunes folder (not just iTunes Music) are the important bits.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 09:45 AM   #4
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

or look at this guide, please feel free to add some screenshots as appropriate as I don't have easy access to a PC.

Last edited by Eraserhead; Jun 27, 2006 at 10:03 AM.
Eraserhead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 09:28 PM   #5
foosa
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad jew
Have a look through this page for the best way of getting your music across with everything intact. It's explaining the process for using an iPod so you'll be able to drop a lot of the steps and replace some with basic network folder transfers. Consolidating the library and transferring the entire iTunes folder (not just iTunes Music) are the important bits.
I thought that I tried these steps and it didn't work. There's another article on the apple site that is basically the same thing but it says that the playlists and ratings won't transfer. Anyway, maybe I did something wrong in transferring over the network.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 09:31 PM   #6
foosa
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead
or look at this guide, please feel free to add some screenshots as appropriate as I don't have easy access to a PC.
This solution worked very well. The first time I tried I got a message that it couldn't find the files. I got this message for every single song, so after about 20 I cancelled. I figured that it was because on my old PC my files were on my second hard drive and on the new one they were going on my main drive. So I tried to update the drive letter by a search and replace in Word, but Word seemed to freeze up. So I tried again from within iTunes, figuring I would just click each time, but the second time it went in fine.

I'll try to add some screen shots within the next few days.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 10:55 AM   #7
DJMastaWes
macrumors 65816

I don't want to make a new thread, so heres my question.

How can this be done with Mac to Mac?
Old Jun 29, 2006, 06:31 PM   #8
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Almost exactly the same process but the iTunes folder is within Music instead of My Music. Just make sure your library's consolidated and then drag it all across.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod