Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
technicolor said:
what do you use them all for?
basically help me justify getting another ipod
1 is my iPod for when I want to impress. It's the original, the one that no one's ever seen. Whenever I take it out, the first question is "is that really an iPod", usually followed by "is it a knockoff type?" Then they ohh and ahh, and get all jealous of because their color screen-video playing-G5 doesn't have a wheel on it that spins.

1 is for running a backup of my OS on, as well as a portable HDD for moving ISO's onto my PC to burn them onto DVD.

1 is for actually using to listen to music.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i have my 5g for music/video. My 3rd is for external hard drive when i don't want to lug around my lacie.
I plan on getting a nano along with my imac in Aug and that's for short trips/walking to class/when the 5g is a little too big/ because its so freaking cool

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
thejadedmonkey said:
1 is for running a backup of my OS on

What does this mean?? Sorry for the ignorance.

I have 4...er...3 now, I just sold my shuffle

My nano is for workout purposes (or soon to be after my motivation comes from the new nike plus deal), my 5G is my main toy, and my 4G...well unfortuanely I dont use it all that much.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Take up vigourous exercise and your pesky hard-drive based iPod will soon give up, meaning you'll need a nice new flash-based iPod to take it's place (or complement it). You'll stay fit and have an excuse for an iPod. :cool:

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
mad jew said:
Take up vigourous exercise and your pesky hard-drive based iPod will soon give up, meaning you'll need a nice new flash-based iPod to take it's place (or complement it). You'll stay fit and have an excuse for an iPod. :cool:
Excellent Concept!

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
iPod 60Gb 5G- Vidoes, or when i'm going on a long trip

iPod nano- if i have lots of things with me, also so I have a small color screen iPod

iPod shuffle-work out, doing the lawn, times when i can't be bothed to pick a song

iPod 1G- so i can bring it places, when i don't want to worry if it gets hurt

Also I mix them up to which ones i bring with me

Zman5225

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Tacoma WA
Nano for the wife
Shuffle for me working out
Mini for my daughter

i'll add whatever they release as soon as it's released, as I want a new bigger one :)

juniormaj

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2001
Newbury Park, CA
1st Gen 5GB: Was my first main iPod, then became my work iPod, then became mostly a nostalgia piece.

2nd Gen 20GB: Was my main iPod. Sold it after winning a 3rd Gen in a contest.

3rd Gen 10GB: Was my main iPod, now my work iPod. Won in an AOL beta contest. Don't really care for the button layout, but it was free.

5th Gen 60GB: Current main iPod. Black model.

The title of "work iPod" is for the iPod that I use to keep only the songs of the artists I've recently been working for. I work as a lighting designer for live concert tours, and it's quite handy to keep all of the artists music on one iPod.

So I currently have three: a 1st 5GB, a 3rd 10GB, and a 5th 60GB (black).

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Shuffle for exercise - no worries about dropping or banging up against anything

G5 for the rest

pink-pony115

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2006
U.S
iPod nano- after school, traveling
iPod shuffle- workouts
iPod mini- works the best with the iTrip
iPod 2nd Gen.- dead iPod :( , for display, for school projects

NeoMac

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2006
I use my 5G iPod mostly for Video, Nano at work and my 3G iPos in my truck and my shuffle when I work out.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Me:
4G 60GB Photo - daily use for commute and Bose SoundDock at work
1GB Shuffle - to use for chores or walks

Wife:
4GB Mini - for daily music and audiobooks, used in JBL OnStage and iHome

Daughter:
5G 60GB - for daily use

Son:
512MB Shuffle - for his own tunes (originally got for me, absconded by the wife, but she ultimately let him have it [and I got that 1GB Shuffle;) ])

I'm disappointed that I haven't managed to manufacture a justification for a nano yet.:D

superfunkomatic

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
calgary, ab canada
i have a

• nano - gift, girlfriend uses it
  • shuffle - the gym, in case it gets banged around - a freebie for opening a bank account
  • 20GB third generation - i use it everyday for the bus ride

i still think the nano is the coolest. if they do come out with larger capacity ones in the fall - i'd be interested in a larger one - 20 - 40 GB.

clasicks

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2006
I use my 30gb 5gen for everything, school and home and stereo, and i use my shuffle for running and biking. not sure what im going to do with my nano thats coming, maybe give to someone?

janstett

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2006
Chester, NJ
I use them for different categories of music. In order of acquisition:

30 GB 3rd gen (with separate buttons over clickwheel)
Replaced my 40 GB Creative Labs Nomad 3 and I haven't looked back. I had to seriously amputate sections of my collection to fit. Now it holds my classical/jazz/blues sub-collection.

60 GB 4th gen:
Holds my main rock music collection, but I still had to amputate live music. It's stuffed to the gills, so I don't have room to add anything new unless I delete something.

1 GB shuffle:
For my wife

60 GB 5th gen (black):
Holds music videos and is basically my mobile video player for car/plane trips, so it has some of my favorite movies (like Office Space) and Top Gear episodes (I am addicted to Top Gear/Fifth Gear/Jeremy Clarkson and have all episodes and videos on the iPod). Most music videos are rips of my music DVDs.

4 GB Nano (white):
Holds my "new" music that hasn't made it onto the main collection yet... Think of it as a staging area for newly purchased music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.