Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jethroted

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2003
Cyberspace
Well I started crunching last sunday, and I'm happy to say that I helped bring in 200 points for the team this week. I got my bro to set up some cpu's at work, and he's getting some friends in on it too. Good work guys!

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
I just joined also. I don't think I will be able to catch up to you! However mabey you can boost the team to take back its position.

It seems that the team is slipping. Are we slowing down as a team? Or is the competition speeding up?

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by Stelliform
I just joined also. I don't think I will be able to catch up to you! However mabey you can boost the team to take back its position.

It seems that the team is slipping. Are we slowing down as a team? Or is the competition speeding up?

what the hell... how long have you been folding?

Yeah Littlewhite dog passed up and so did some other team but we are gonna pass 2 teams so no biggy.

Our competition is speeding up that seems to be the problem.

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
Originally posted by MrMacman
what the hell... how long have you been folding?

Not even a week yet. This weekend I am folding on several extra machines that are not my own. (Computers left at my office by clients.) Lets just say that I am stress testing them. :) The PC command line version is pretty clean. I will just delete the directory before giving them back their computers. However in the meantime, they will have completed 3 to 4 work units for me. :)

(I would have finished another WU last night, but the PC it was running on crashed.) :rolleyes: However my powerbook finished its first wu an hour ago. It is running much faster since I turned off Aquamon.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
sheesh i've been folding for a few months and i havn't broken the 200pts barrier yet. btw guys, our daily rate is competing with lwd's we could pass them up if things continue to grow as they have been

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by howard
sheesh i've been folding for a few months and i havn't broken the 200pts barrier yet. btw guys, our daily rate is competing with lwd's we could pass them up if things continue to grow as they have been

Suuureee. :rolleyes:
Next you can say we are catching up with MSU_ACM, HA!
Little is out crunching us by 390.
MacNN is out crunching us by 210.
PimpRig - 210
Russia by 20

We are gaining on : Mods4Me
Team Alberta
Hong Kong Team

Other teams are far off.

jethroted

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2003
Cyberspace
We are going to be number one eventually. I have some heavy duty unix guys climbing on board in the next couple days. Heavy amounts of computing comming. We should see a big jump in our scores in a bit.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
jethroted: you're on mark to be one of the top 5 folders for this team. its been a pleasure to see your output grow to the point its at now.

having those unix guys aboard would be a blessing to this team. our output has increased by a large amount with yours and others help.

nothing but :) here. ur help is appreiciated!

phampton81

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Hi, I've been folding for only a few days now, but what seemed weird to me was that the 3 WU's I have completed average almost 20 points a piece, however looking at most peoples point totals/WU completed the average is like 5-10 points per WU or less. Did I just happen to get more complex proteins to fold, was it a coincedence, and is there some way to control how complex of a WU you get? Thanks

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
The bigger proteins have just been available recently.

Well not so recently as I've been crunching on a 73 point protein for over a month now.:D

When I've done w/ that protein, I'll be able to jump seven spots and approach the 300 pt. mark! Oh yeah!

Considering i'm crunching on a 200 MHz and 550 MHz computer, i'd say persistance and patience pays off.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by phampton81
...however looking at most peoples point totals/WU completed the average is like 5-10 points per WU or less.
...is there some way to control how complex of a WU you get?
no way to control the WU you get. you might be able to delete the folder where it stores the work everytime and hope that it gives you a new one the next time, but ive never cared enough to do this.

when i first started folding last year, the proteins were worth like .6 and 5. so at ~10000 WU and ~50000 points later i finally got to a ~5 point average. so the ppl who have started folding more recently have a much higher crunch average than those who have been around for a while.

thanks for helping out the team, we're really starting to be competitive again. :D

jethroted

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2003
Cyberspace
I don't have too many computers, but I've leeched on to anyones computer i can get my hands on!;)

Everyone should do that! Most people will let you do it. You would be supprised.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I think I'm at the highest position, #9, with only one (dual processor) computer. It still makes me feel pretty good, but I can hear the hoardes on their way.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Well, I can now say I've joined the 200+ club!

But jethroted, you're doing damn good, already at just below 600!! Nice. How many machines do you have working for you?

D

jethroted

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2003
Cyberspace
I don't even know. 9? My brother let me use some of his, and his friends. It is somewhere around 9 or 10. I've done pretty good for a week and a half. I made it to top 25 for the team. I would like to get in the top 10.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by jethroted
I don't even know. 9? My brother let me use some of his, and his friends. It is somewhere around 9 or 10. I've done pretty good for a week and a half. I made it to top 25 for the team. I would like to get in the top 10.
quick ascension in the ranks is fun, but after a while you even out, and there's not as much excitement. enjoy it while it lasts. :)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by mc68k
quick ascension in the ranks is fun, but after a while you even out, and there's not as much excitement. enjoy it while it lasts. :)

spoken from someone firmly entrenched at #1 for the team with no real possibility of being caught :D

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.