Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Mar 2, 2003, 05:25 PM   #1
GtwOK
macrumors newbie

Potential Adder Qs about PC-Mac OSX Connectivity

I have been lurking on these boards since the iMac Flat-Panel introduction, trying to decide whether to buy an OS-X computer (and OS-X is the only reason I am considering a Mac). I currently have a 2.0GHz P4 desktop hooked up to DSL that I would continue to use ("need" Flight Simulator and Microsoft Access). I have been thinking of adding the 12" iBook Combo unit w/640MB RAM (iLife, Office vX and Safari would be the main apps used so I figure the G3 would be acceptable). My questions are these:

* What is the easiest way to move files between the PC and iBook? Obviously a CD-RW would work, but I was wondering about a cross-over cable connecting the PC and iBook. Would this take a lot of configuring on the PC or OS X?

* If I add an Airport card and base station, could I remotely control my PC from the iBook (i.e. use the iBook to virtually use my PC in the office)? Microsoft came out with Remote Desktop Connection for OSX, and I am running XP Home on the Intel box (as my user name would indicate, a Gateway). I am assuming I could share the DSL connection.

* How common are dead/stuck pixels on the iBook? Any idea when a revision is coming? I was thinking MWNY, but then I saw the change in status in the Buyer's Guide (from middle of life to end of life).

Thanks.
GtwOK
GtwOK is offline   0
Old Mar 2, 2003, 06:00 PM   #2
rundevilrun
macrumors member

Re: Potential Adder Qs about PC-Mac OSX Connectivity

Quote:
Originally posted by GtwOK

* If I add an Airport card and base station, could I remotely control my PC from the iBook (i.e. use the iBook to virtually use my PC in the office)? Microsoft came out with Remote Desktop Connection for OSX, and I am running XP Home on the Intel box (as my user name would indicate, a Gateway). I am assuming I could share the DSL connection.
I'm not sure about XP Home but I'm using the Remote Desktop connection for OS X with XP Pro and it works very well. I'm using a Nexland DSL router for internet sharing, IMHO the router is the best way to go for sharing a DSL connection, a linksys can be had for only $50 these days.
rundevilrun is offline   0
Old Mar 2, 2003, 06:51 PM   #3
alex_ant
Banned

Re: Potential Adder Qs about PC-Mac OSX Connectivity

Quote:
Originally posted by GtwOK
* What is the easiest way to move files between the PC and iBook? Obviously a CD-RW would work, but I was wondering about a cross-over cable connecting the PC and iBook. Would this take a lot of configuring on the PC or OS X?

The easiest way would be to hook them up via Ethernet, mount your PC drive on the Mac, and copy anything over that you need. You don't need a crossover cable since the iBook's Ethernet controller has crossover capability built in and can be connected to any other computer without a hub. Nope, it wouldn't take a lot of configuring - just assign an IP of 192.168.0.x to both of the computers, with the same netmask, choose "Go -> Connect to Server" in the Mac's Finder.
Quote:
* How common are dead/stuck pixels on the iBook?
No more or less common than on any other notebook that uses a Samsung LCD.
alex_ant is offline   0
Old Mar 2, 2003, 06:53 PM   #4
jaykk
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to jaykk Send a message via MSN to jaykk Send a message via Yahoo to jaykk
RDC for Mac OS X requires XP Pro or 2000 Server

I am running TiBook 550 Mhz with Airport card and an old gateway PII 333 Mhz with Cisco card with an Airport base station without any problem. You can share a windows folder, directly from finder and u can access all the files like that. Inorder to use RDC for Mac, u need a XP Pro or 2000 Server though.. You can't use XP Home or 2000 Pro edition for this, at least i tried, and i didnt work. RDC for Mac
jaykk is offline   0
Old Mar 3, 2003, 10:38 AM   #5
GtwOK
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies... I will be off to the Apple store later this week to pick up just the iBook combo unit for now... order a 512MB module from Crucial... and worry about the Airport stuff later.
GtwOK is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers