Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

furryrabidbunny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Mesa, AZ
I was wondering if anyone has these headphones: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007XJSQC/103-7137422-5303820?v=glance&n=172282
I have a new (real) job and I am using my mini more... I could never stand the apple earbuds but like I said... never really used them my mini is more for car use. Amazon has them on sale for 17 bucks and they seem nice... but peoples opinions here are pretty good... so any thoughts?

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I was given a set. I think it's amazing what they have managed to do on a bottom-dollar budget and the build quality is astonishing, but I think most of the positive reviews are from people who had very low expectations or those who haven't heard anything better and bought it because it was cheap. No matter how well it's designed and how well it's built clearly they had to budget on the speaker drivers. If you ask me they're pretty crap-sounding headphones in the overall scheme of things but it is amazing what they have done to deliver a closed phone that won't fall apart as soon as you look at it on a sub $20 budget. Probably better to spend around $50 and get something notably better, more portable, or both. Check out the PX100 from the same company, or if you need something portable and noise isolating, try the CX300 once again from Sennheiser. Both run about $50 retail but you should be able to find them cheaper.

furryrabidbunny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Mesa, AZ
Thanks for the help...

I might consider going a bit more high end.. but I'll be honest as far as sound quality goes I am not too worried. When I use headphones I normally have to keep them low because I'm at work and need to hear the occassional person that drops by to talk to me. As far as build quality is concerned do they seem like they last awhile? Most twenty dollar headphones i've bought have been sony junk that break easy. From the pictures they look well built but pictures can be deceiving. I guess what i am seeking is this... for an under twenty dollar set is there any better?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Headphones are a very personal thing, and esp. in that low-end range, I think you're better off going to a local store and testing them first. For <$20, you're bound to see and hear lots of trade-offs, and you need to decide which set of trade-offs best suits you.

Opinions here, and again esp. for low-end headphones, will not necessarily be suitable for you personally, as everyone prioritizes things differently.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
furryrabidbunny said:
I might consider going a bit more high end.. but I'll be honest as far as sound quality goes I am not too worried. When I use headphones I normally have to keep them low because I'm at work and need to hear the occassional person that drops by to talk to me. As far as build quality is concerned do they seem like they last awhile? Most twenty dollar headphones i've bought have been sony junk that break easy. From the pictures they look well built but pictures can be deceiving. I guess what i am seeking is this... for an under twenty dollar set is there any better?

Given the two-year warranty, probably not.

The exception is perhaps these:
LIFETIME warranty. Not 'closed' though and earclips can hurt.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006B486K/002-3134714-4789630?v=glance&n=172282

furryrabidbunny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Mesa, AZ
Comfort

I am buying new headphones for comfort than sound. Like i said... I am still on the apple earbuds, and they got the job done for me as far as sound quality. They just hurt so much in my ears... my ears literally become sore after extended use. Thats why there were appealing... over the ear, large, and they don't really latch on to your ear or rest in your ear canal. Maybe i should just buy them and try them out. As these actually sold in stores where you can sample them? like best buy or circuit city?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.