Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
What are you trying to use this for?
I am unaware of one currently, but there may be alternatives depending on your specific need.

robbybogers

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
actually it is for a friend, he need one to transfer files from an old PowerBook to an iMac.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Originally posted by robbybogers
actually it is for a friend, he need one to transfer files from an old PowerBook to an iMac.
Does the old PowerBook have an Ethernet port? If it does, then your friend's problem is solved.

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
you may be able to find a serial-ethernet adapter.. I used one for a long time to connect my old laserwriter to my g3.. probably the cheapest thing to do is, if he just needs to transfer it one time, go to an apple store to see what they can do for you, in terms of just a data transfer.

Edit: maybe not an "Apple Store" but an independant apple retailer, they will probably have the old stuff still on hand, and are usually much more experienced than the people at Apple Retail, having dealt with much more older hardware.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Try Keyspan or Belkin .

Perhaps you are asking the wrong question.
I think that I am right on this.
Appletalk is a serial protocol.

There are a lot of compatible adapters out there. You want a USB to Mini Din Serial. They should all be AppleTalk compatable, as Apple is the only company to use the mini 8 pin DIN for most of their serial connections.

• Keyspan manufactures this one.
    Belkin has these options.

The term DIN is actually the initials for the German Institute for Standardization [/URL]. A bet Apple just thought that their connectors were better.

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
for that keyspan i found this in that page

" Incompatible products include:
Products which require LocalTalk/AppleTalk"

That kinda puts a damper on the keyspan

The belkin one looks the same way

Here is why:
Appletalk does not travel through USB, the OS just isn't able to do it. (although ethernet-usb adapters are available, hummm)

If you can find this product, it has been discontinued it seems, http://www2.sunrem.com/sun01.w?pt=669783

it is a Farallon iPrint SL, note: the SL part is important. It should work, but is rather pricey.

I still think your best bet would be to ask what your local mac shop charges for a data transfer, it might just be simpler and more cost effective.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
I'm checking on this, but I believe that the OS now supports the products for AppleTalk, but your right the ethernet solution would work better. I found a number of web refrences to USB to Appletalk for Linx, why I do not know.

rideahyperLite

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2003
kind of ot but.. can you transfer files from a pc to a powerbook via firewire? i know u can transfer pc to pc but im not sure about a mac.

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
Yes, just boot the machine up holding down T, for target disk mode, and it should just act as a Firewire drive to any mac it is connected to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.