Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ajmbc

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2003
Louisiana
First of all, it was a pretty good idea for you to come here asking, because lots of companies sell bad memory. Kingston is a pretty reliable company, however I have never bought memory from them. Also, it is impossible to look at memory and say "Ooh, this looks like bad memory to me. I shouldn't buy it." I would get it. Make sure it's compatible with your system. Really, when you don't buy memory is when it's from a company no one knows about. Usually harder to get support.

Hope this helps,

=ajmbc=

Wano

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by Ajmbc
First of all, it was a pretty good idea for you to come here asking, because lots of companies sell bad memory. Kingston is a pretty reliable company, however I have never bought memory from them. Also, it is impossible to look at memory and say "Ooh, this looks like bad memory to me. I shouldn't buy it." I would get it. Make sure it's compatible with your system. Really, when you don't buy memory is when it's from a company no one knows about. Usually harder to get support.

Hope this helps,

=ajmbc=

Thanks!...yeah I've heard good stuff about Kingston so far...and I am pretty sure it's compatible with the new dual 1.25ghz PM G4 that i am getting.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I wouldn't buy Kingston memory for anything. I just went through a two week period without my WinXP machine at work because Kingston memory was causing the machine to constantly re-boot.

Would you say 30 times of re-booting in one morning would be enough to be annoying?

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
$57 RAM...

Yeah, does anyone have any problems with Memory4cheap.com? They have 512MB PC2700 DDR RAM for 57 bucks. That's an awesome deal, but I want to see if anyone else has ever dealt with them. They do have a lifetime warrenty on them, so that makes me feel alittle better.

What's your opinion guys?!?

AllenPSU

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2003
USA
Kingston

Originally posted by Ajmbc
Kingston is a pretty reliable company, however I have never bought memory from them.

Just my 2 Cents....

:) I have had a 10MB Kingston card in my PB-180 and several 1MB SIMMS in my MAC II that all worked great so I bought two 512MB modules for my Quicksilver last year. So far Kingston has been good to me. No problems!

Now the rest of the story...

:( Memory I bought for my PowerMac 7600 from APS was aweful (64MB DIMMS). I have about half of those modules in my drawer because they don't work well together. My lesson learned from all this was to buy from good name memory manufactures that guarantee compatibility.

Good Luck!

Funkatation

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2001
go to newegg.com

they sell crucial, kingston, and other BRAND NAME memory. they had 512MB Kingston PC2700 for $57 w/ lifetime warranty. I've ordered from them a bunch.

AllenPSU

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2003
USA
Originally posted by crazzyeddie
Otherworld (http://www.macsales.com) is the best period. I would buy anything and everything from them. Inexpensive shipping, products, and great support.

I've bought processor upgrades and other hardware from OWC but I haven't had any luck with their memory. This may have been due to the other memory I already had.

Another bad thing about OWC is that they have a pretty strict return/upgrade policy. I had bought some RAM from them (that they recommended) for a laserprinter and then when it didn't work, they told me to upgrade to some better RAM. i had to ship the old RAM back, they charged me the difference and a restock fee on the old RAM, and the new stuff still didn't work.

It was only $15 a SIMM so I just threw it away.

the_enigma

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2003
pc2100 or pc2700?

what is the difference between pc2100 and pc2700 ram? i've got a new 1ghz powermac, and thought that i should be getting pc2100 ram, but one of the websites someone listed advertised pc2700 as being good for all 3 of the new powermacs, despite the fact that the 1gigger only has a 133mhz system bus. any help would be greatly appreciated!

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
PC2700 is for a 167Mhz bus; It will work just fine in a 133mhz buss, but there will be no performance gain between the two.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
yeah i just bought a 512 DDR 2700 dimm from crucial and it worked like a charm. Got mine for $75 and have a lifetime warranty.

Tyler

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.