Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjddrum1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
What should I use to clean a glossy MBP screen? I have a finger print on it and NEEd to get it off lol its pissin me off

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
cjddrum1 said:
What should I use to clean a glossy MBP screen? I have a finger print on it and NEEd to get it off lol its pissin me off

I picked up iKlean with a shammy from Apple and it worked great. The nice thing is that if your screen or case get damaged, Apple can't attribute any problem to the way you cleaned it. Like I said, it worked really well on my MB screen, one which is also glossy.

d wade

macrumors 65816
Jun 27, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
netdog said:
I picked up iKlean with a shammy from Apple and it worked great. The nice thing is that if your screen or case get damaged, Apple can't attribute any problem to the way you cleaned it. Like I said, it worked really well on my MB screen, one which is also glossy.

at 1st i thought you were kidding. lol. iKlean, that just seems fake. apple, what'll they think of next

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Sandpaper. :cool:

Yeah, I just use some windex and a soft paper towel whenever I get stuff on my Mac's LCD, nothing fancy. Does the trick and doesn't do any damage.

rjgonzales

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2006
Texas
benthewraith said:
Would using a a paper towl hit with two squirts of Windex help? ;)

I'm not exactly sure what the screens are made of but I would advise against using these. I use a cleaning cloth and solution (or water) similar to that which is used for cleaning glasses.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
I use Iklear (not heard of iKlean). Don't use a paper towel and avoid alcohol based cleaners. Even a soft, lint free cloth with a tiny bit of water would be fine.

FragTek

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
I advise against using ANY window cleaner unless you are certain it's amonia free. Windex has amonia, along with the majority of other window cleaning products. Amonia can strip off any protective coating that may be on the screen, DO NOT USE IT.

Check out the iKlear, or just use a soft cloth/paper towel and water, it will come right off.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Bern said:
I use Iklear (not heard of iKlean). Don't use a paper towel and avoid alcohol based cleaners. Even a soft, lint free cloth with a tiny bit of water would be fine.

Sorry, yes, I meant to say iKlear too.

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
West Monroe, Louisiana
ScreensavRz

I got a screensavRz from radtech.us and use it with water. It has worked wonders for the case and screen of both my 12" PB and my 17" MBP (both matte).

dailyrorschach

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2006
FWIW, on my glossy MacBook that handy instruction manual that came with the unit has instructions for cleaning your glossy screen. Apple recommends a soft cloth, I used an old t-shirt, with just water.

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
dailyrorschach said:
FWIW, on my glossy MacBook that handy instruction manual that came with the unit has instructions for cleaning your glossy screen. Apple recommends a soft cloth, I used an old t-shirt, with just water.

Yup, and in case you want to hear it directly from Apple: Read this. :)

Windex? :eek:

Nakamura

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2007
Oxfordshire, England
I wouldn't use paper towel, it leaves dust on the monitor, well the paper towel I have leaves bits all over monitor, maybe I am using the wrong type. I use water and a soft cloth, make sure you don't get anything on the cloth or water or you might scrath your screen. With my dell I took the monitor off of the laptop and taken the plastic off of the monitor, it made it soo much easier to clean. That will proberly void your warranty. But it helps you get right into the corners of the monitor.

jasmine84

macrumors member
May 16, 2007
Toronto ON
Oh well damnit, I just read halfway down, cleaned my screen with windex, then read the reply about NOT using windex. ahhhh. My screen is awesome now though..... if I only used it once with TWO sprays on the paper towel and not on the screen, do you think I damaged it? I promise never to use it again!!!

Stress.

Drift91

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2010
I was googling how to clean the screen as I just got a new MB couple of days ago (loving it so far:D), after reading through the thread I just wanted to explain the problem with paper towel, most paper towels are soaked in wetting agents that make the paper towel more absorbent, while these agents most likely won't corrode the screen, they do leave a residue that may permanently cake onto the screen if left long enough at the warm temperatures that the screen usually experiences.[edit: Apple did an amazing job of making the screen REALLY cool, I guess it has something to do with being "backlit".]

Thanks to Discoforce for this link: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3226?viewlocale=en_US, another good one is: http://www.apple.com/support/macbook/care/ (overall care, not just cleaning), I'd recommend everyone read those both before attempting to clean their apple products. But for a quick summary, Don't use any heavy or abrasive solvents like Windex, do not use alcohol on the screen (safe for the plastic/aluminum case however), use a soft clean cloth and apply the water or specialty screen cleaner TO THE CLOTH, do NOT apply ANY liquids directly to your MB/MBP/iMac/etc. (direct from apple: "Do not spray cleaner directly onto your computer. Liquid could drip inside the case and cause an electrical shock or electrical malfunction."), also apple recommends to remove any dirt or grit with your hand before using the cloth, I personally find the use of your hand to be a stupid idea, I'd recommend using a duster or anything soft and fluffy (and clean!) laying around like one of those poofy purple scarf like things (excuse my descriptiveness:p). If I'm missing anything let me know.;)

Edit: Before anyone complains sorry for reviving an old thread.

Drift91

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2010
i use this http://www.monstercable.com/screenclean/monster_screenclean.asp it came in a kit, cleaning cloth and spray bottle

i bought it at best buy. it's works great, but it was a bit pricey.

The monster stuff is really good so I've heard, but as with all their products the slight difference between their quality and that of their competitors comes at a major price difference between the two.

I prefer to just use plain water, I've never used any specialty screen cleaners, the last time that I used specialty cleaner for a CD it made it WAY worse and I went through hell trying to get it clean with soap and water. I'm sure the Monster and iKlear stuff works wonders though, Apple and Monster don't make cheap crap like over 80% of manufacturers out there. But unless you got a nasty greasy mess the water works fine, sneeze splatter, few sweaty finger prints, dust, comes right off no problem.

Drift91

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2010
They certainly have both perfected the art of milking money out of somewhat ignorant yet fastidious and well-to-do consumers. ;)

Well quite a few are ignorant, but some are just OCD and need to have the screen absolutely perfect and even bottled water just won't do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.