Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maytsang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2006
England
I received my 2 x 1Gb RAM today and tried to install them onto my MacBook.

Removing the standard 512mb memory was fine with no problems and I am sure that I inserted the new memory in the correct direction.
When trying to boot up, my macbook displayed the sleep light but it did not boot up, I realised that i may not have pushed the memory hard enough into the slots, so I pushed it in further and turned on my Macbook and the sleep light still remained. I then carried on trying to push the memory in further and now the Macbook will not boot at all and not even the sleep light is displayed.
I am a bit worried because my MacBook is under 2 weeks old. Do you think this would have void the warranty? I have tried removing the 1Gb memory but the levers will not release the memory therefore I am unable to remove them! I am not sure whether I pushed the memory too hard in because I had read that a considerable amount of force is needed. Can anyone help?

maytsang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2006
England
I'm taking it to the apple store tomorrow. Do you know how or why this might of happened? Surely RAM couldn't cause the entire computer to go down? Do you think all documents and files can be recovered from my computer if the MacBook remains unbootable?

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
what happens to the levers when you turn them to the left? where did you buy your ram from?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
The reason I recommended an independent dealer is that they *may* offer you a bit more leeway as regards whether you voided your warranty through your own damage... whereas the Apple Store *may* toe the line more strictly.

Impossible for us to say if you can get your data back. Presumably the hard drive is intact, so it may be able to be transferred.

hStack

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2006
You can always take out the hard disk, put in a USB or FW or SATA enclosure
and attach it to another computer to recover your files.

I completed two attempts to upgrage my MB memory, before it can boot up. Apple should fix this detail for the rev 2 MBook.

maytsang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2006
England
I really hope they are able to fix it, I don't know anywhere else I can go apart from apple. I got the RAM from Omnitechnologies, I don't think the new RAM affected the MacBook because during the first few attempts, the sleep light was on when I tried to boot meaning that I just didn't put them in properly. How far did you have to put the memory into the slot? When I push the levers towards the left the RAM doesn't slide out at all anymore... I don't know why that is!

giantquiet

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2006
First post.

Hey--me too. Just got my NewEgg memory today, installed, and the MacBook is dead as a doornail. Tried to reinsert the old RAM--DEAD. Made sure everything was properly seated. Called Applecare. Still dead. I've installed RAM hundreds of times before this in notebooks, workstations, servers--was an IT guy for years--and never had an experience where insalling RAM fried the computer like this, or was this challenging to get in/out.

Now I'm off to the Apple Store and hoping they will have mercy and not charge me for breaking the thing. This is my second Macbook--first had crazy screen/bezel popping out issues and a power supply that screeched. Both were way too hot, IMO.

Now, I'm out of the two week zone, so no returns. Part of me wishes I could just get my money back as this design is beginning to smell suspicially like a pile of a**. Pretty, yes, and sweet when running, but just too hot, too problematic. They tried to pile too much up in here.

Having been an Apple faithful back since Apple II, my faith is shaking and I'm beginning to blasphemously wish for a reliable IBM Thinkpad. Feeling burned, and not just thermally. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

pinetec

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2006
Red Sox Nation
maytsang said:
Removing the standard 512mb memory was fine with no problems and I am sure that I inserted the new memory in the correct direction.
When trying to boot up, my macbook displayed the sleep light but it did not boot up, I realised that i may not have pushed the memory hard enough into the slots, so I pushed it in further and turned on my Macbook and the sleep light still remained. I then carried on trying to push the memory in further and now the Macbook will not boot at all and not even the sleep light is displayed.

I had the same problem when I upgraded from 512 to 1GB. Mine was dead as a doornail also. For me it was just a matter of the memory being seated correctly. After I reseated the memory it came right up.

giantquiet

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2006
Follow up

Just got back from the Apple Store and the logic board in my Macbook is dead, apparently from my RAM install. It is uncertain whether the damage is physical (cracked by inserting RAM) or if the logic board was blown by the RAM itself.

Either way, it's been sent to repair, where they will determine whether I will have to pay $800 for correctly (or, correctly as I know) attempting to upgrade a "user upgradeable" part. Like I said, I've installed a lot of RAM in my life, so this makes me feel like either 1) I've lost the touch--which seems unlikely-- or 2) something's rotten in Denmark.

Interestingly,the Apple Store "Genius" couldn't extract the base RAM from the case with the provided levers, or even with an extraction tool. He took it in back and let the techs play with it, who pronounced it dead. He was going to recommend that this was a warranty issue, so I'm hoping it comes back that way instead of being a money pit.

Could it be that some of these MacBooks are simply packed too tightly? Or that the heat warps/expands the units enough to cause a simple thing like RAM extraction/insertion to bust the logic board?

brbubba

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
I wouldn't let them give you any crap. To get mine fully seated I literally sat there, with the laptop on my lap, and pulled down with both hands, one on each memory stick. A crack resulting from this action would probably be a result of a manufacturing defect.

Also for future note, its much much easier to install the RAM modules with the case disassembled. However, I doubt many would go to that length just to get the RAM in there.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Why was the sleep light on? Did you guys put the machine to sleep or did you shut it down completely?

And please tell me you didnt try installing ram with the powercord still attached....

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
are you sure you put the ram in the right way?

my ram went in fine.

maytsang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2006
England
I just got back from apple and they removed the RAM for me. They told me that I was doing everything correctly and the levers were faulty apparently. They told me to ring apple care to get a replacement Macbook, but once I receive the replacement, I am still a little worried to put the 1Gb RAM incase the same thing happens. Also all my files are still on the Macbook with the faulty levers and I am unable to boot up the computer, so I can't back everything up. Do you think apple would be able to put all my files onto the replacement or put the current hard drive onto the new MacBook?

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
buy a SATA caddy whip the HD out and back your data up, or if you have a pc with SATA the connecters are the same as for desktop drives so you can just use macdrive to back up.

maytsang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2006
England
Hmmm... do you think it would work if i removed the current hard drive in the MB with the faulty levers and then when apple send me the new MB, I could just place the old hard drive with all my data into the new one? The thing is.. I have to ask apple first but I can't ring them until Monday because the Sales Team was closed today when i tried to call them! I can't cope without my mac!

giantquiet

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2006
For me, the power was clearly off, AC disconnected, and battery (of course) removed. Also put the RAM in the right way, no question. I think I got one whose casing must have been warped, or must have warped with heat? The Apple Store Genius couldn't get the base RAM out with the levers, which kind of made grinding sounds. He couldn't even get them out with one of those chip extraction hooks, and had to take it to the techs in the back room. Sounds like things weren't working to spec.

Thanks for the feedback; I think I may indeed have to give them hell if this gets charged for replacement logic board due to "user damage." Everything I did was by the book except that the RAM was the NewEgg 3rd party stuff people have been talking about here.

Like Maytsang, now I'm not sure what to do with the RAM--kind of terrified that if I try to install it post-repair, that I will just break the damn thing again. But it also seems ridiculous to just settle for the 512 Mb base RAM. Perhaps have the Apple Store do it next time :)? Or send it back and get only Apple RAM? Suggestions welcome. Thanks...

craigatkinson

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2006
Same thing happened to me!

I had the exact same thing happen to me just a couple days ago. I was very careful in everything I did. I was told to push really hard on the ram until it seated itself, and so I did. When I went to turn the computer on it was dead. Tried to put the old ram in..still dead. I sent it back to Amazon. At first I requested a replacement, but then I called them back and told them to just give me a refund. I then got on the apple site and just ended up buying a macbook pro. Lets hope I have better luck with it.

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
giantquiet said:
For me, the power was clearly off, AC disconnected, and battery (of course) removed. Also put the RAM in the right way, no question. I think I got one whose casing must have been warped, or must have warped with heat? The Apple Store Genius couldn't get the base RAM out with the levers, which kind of made grinding sounds. He couldn't even get them out with one of those chip extraction hooks, and had to take it to the techs in the back room. Sounds like things weren't working to spec.

There have been some cases of the RAM levers not being installed correctly, particularly with poor factory placement of a spring attached to the RAM lever. Apple updated the service manual for the MacBook to expand the section related to installing the levers correctly. (The only other change in the service manual was to also expand the section related to thermal compound on the heatsinks.)

It sounds like you just lucked out and got a machine with badly installed levers.

maytsang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2006
England
giantquiet said:
Like Maytsang, now I'm not sure what to do with the RAM--kind of terrified that if I try to install it post-repair, that I will just break the damn thing again. But it also seems ridiculous to just settle for the 512 Mb base RAM. Perhaps have the Apple Store do it next time :)? Or send it back and get only Apple RAM? Suggestions welcome. Thanks...

Im not sure what to do although apple did say I was doing everything right. I asked apple whether they would be able to install it for me next time incase the same thing happens again, and they said that they did not install third party RAM, only RAM purchased from apple. But it is alot more expensive to buy RAM from apple £300 for 2x1GB when i got it for £120. Also i wouldn't want the 2x1GB RAM i have now to be wasted and be unused.

Maybe like mrichmon said, i just got a machine with badly installed levers and hopefully when i get my replacement macbook, I will be able to install them properly and get the machine working.

giantquiet

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2006
Update

Just got my MacBook (#2) back from AppleCare Repair, and wanted to give a report. They replaced my logic board, processor and motion sensor. Upon return, problems with the MacBook multiplied maddeningly, as enumerated below.

1) The MacBook booted once fine and then on reboot gave only a white screen with colored vertical lines, and would not boot. I freaked out for a few minutes, rebooted a few times to no avail, and then found this helpful thread regarding issues with the 10.4.7 update:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=300464

I had to zap PRAM (command-option-P-R) to get things to boot. After reverting to 10.4.6 (which took a while), it actually booted again reliably. It appears 10.4.7 is not reliable for some Intel machines. My machine apparently became one of those, upon replacement of the logic board/processor.

2) Then, iSight started acting funny--the built-in camera was on at startup, and wouldn't shut off. None of my apps could use it and just showed a green screen when open. Reboot did not help. Eventually, found this thread and "fixed" it by a full shut down...at least for now. Though we shall see...

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/206681/

3) The hard drive now makes a really annoying "ping"/"plink" sound every few seconds, which it didn't before. Not sure what to do other than get a new hard drive, or learn to live with it. All in all, it seems like more trouble than it's worth. Perhaps wait for the 160 Gb 2.5" SATA drive (anyone know when those are actually coming out)? Similar issues at:

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=2598226

4) Still unsure what to do about the 3rd party G.Skill RAM--I'm afraid to install it and just blow the logic board again, so I think I'll send it back and look for a thinner stick. I've been reading some reports of differing thickness of chips for MB. One user claimed that JetRAM was easier to install than the G. Skill I got from NewEgg. Multiple reports of RAM killing MacBooks dead are here, RAM removal/install problems, etc.:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=296225

5) Last, my OEM version of Windows is probably toast, licensing-wise, after they replaced both the logic board AND Core Duo. MS will not allow reinstall on a "different machine" which is probably what mine looks like to their licensing system now. Suckage. More money down the drain.

Well, at least Apple covered the logic board replacement (whew). I just wish I had been one of those people who have "no issues"--I want to be in that number! 2nd MacBook, and both have been a treasure chest of defects/problems after only 4 weeks. If I could return the thing I would--seems other people got a MacBook, BlackBook or a MooBook, while I got an A$$Book or two. :rolleyes: Nice.

As usual, any thoughtful, informed feedback on these issues would be welcomed.

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
giantquiet said:
As usual, any thoughtful, informed feedback on these issues would be welcomed.

For what it's worth, I picked up four sticks of 1GB RAM for our two MacBooks from http://www.ms4me.com and have had no problem installing the memory (no thickness issues) and the two MacBooks I installed the RAM in have been rock solid. Price of the sticks was similar to NewEgg prices (assuming you decide to return the sticks you have).

Note in the order comments that you want matched pairs and ms4me will ship matched pairs.

brbubba

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
giantquiet said:
5) Last, my OEM version of Windows is probably toast, licensing-wise, after they replaced both the logic board AND Core Duo. MS will not allow reinstall on a "different machine" which is probably what mine looks like to their licensing system now. Suckage. More money down the drain.

If you have to reinstall windows and it doesn't activate just call MS at the number given and tell them you are reinstalling and you only have it installed on one computer. They will activate for you no problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.