Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mads

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2002
I'm planning on getting a new notebook, and I was wondering if it was possible to connect my T68i to it with bluetooth.

I'm going to be using it to check my e-mail while on the road. The phone supports both GPRS and HSCSD (High Speed Data), but does OSX?

Also, would the Powerbook of iBook be best for this?

Noiseboy

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2002
Lurking nearby.
I have a Powerbook G4 and a T68i and while I have seen other people in this forum say they have connected to the net via Bluetooth I have singularly failed. I am able to connect via the infra red port but not via BT. I don't think new powerbooks have IR ports so that option is out for you but in my case it could be related to my ISP being AOL. I have them because they have the most access numbers internationally.
I can use BT to send and receive instant messages just fine so the connection between the two is obviously good but when trying to go online via BT I get a message saying "could not detect a carrier signal". It's very annoying as I'm sure it can be done but getting it to work is a royal pain. AOL can provide no help with this, I've asked them.
It can be done, just not by me apparently.

That should read Text messages, not instant messages.

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
I have no problem linking my T68i and my iMac via Bluetooth for iSync. I've never used the T68i for an iMac net connection, but I have linked it with my Tungsten for a net connection, it works great.

martijnvandijk

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2003
Netherlands
GPRS and OSX work great together

I m working for a Dutch mobile operator and I must say that OSX and GPRS works out just fine. Particularly ericsson bluetooth phones work like a charm, but I also managed to get some Nokia's working. A good reference site to go is http://www.taniwha.org.uk/ , although also Apple is providing some support via their knowledge base.
Good luck and if you have questions, just ask!

Martijn

zoetropeuk

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2002
Oxford UK
I've use my t68i and BT to connect to the internet using GPRS. If you connect when there is little activity on the nextwork you can get about 12-15k/sec which I think is quite amazing. Though most times it connects at between 3-8k/sec.
You need to make sure you have the correct modem scripts and settings otherwise you don't have a hope in hell of getting it to work.

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
I have my nokia 7650 working with the internet over BT but i cant get it to use GPRS.

I havent tried much, but from what i did try i failed, im a big failure :( .

Oh yeah, look here....

Noiseboy

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2002
Lurking nearby.
Originally posted by yogi477
How do you send text messages via BT to the t68i do you need special software?

It all happens via Address book.
Assuming you have your 68 and your BT adapter within a 10 meter proximity and you have BT turned on, open address book and go to the person you want to text, click once on the little BT icon that is just above the group directory and it should turn blue. Once that has happened click once on the word 'mobile' that is next to the number of the phone you want to text and it will open a dialog box that says Large Type which makes the number huge on the screen and next it says sms message. Click once on that and another box opens where you write your message and then just hit send.
Similarly, if you receive a text message when address book is linked it will pop up on your computer screen. It's very cool, I love it.
No additional software is needed, it's all in 10.2.

Good luck:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.