Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games

Old Jul 2, 2006, 11:13 AM   #1
ScarletRed
macrumors regular

To Experienced World of Warcraft Players: WoW Questions from a Newbie

Hello. I have some questions to a selected few of you who play World of Warcraft on MacBook Pro (fully upgraded). From herein, any references to an MBP is assumed to be the fully upgraded model such as the one shown in my signature below unless stated otherwise.

I am a Mac convert who recently purchased a brand new MacBook Pro (my first Mac ever). While I bought it for primarily work purpose, I thought it would add some flavor by adding on some decent games so I started looking around and WoW caught my attention. After determining that MBP is enough to run the World of Warcraft (WoW) at maximum settings at very reasonable framerates, I am beginning to seriously consider buying WoW. There are a few questions that need to be answered before I make such commitment, however. The questions are:

1. From one of the pages on Blizzard website Game Guides/Getting Started/Quick Start, it is written, "To select an object, monster, or character, left-click it. To interact with it, right-click it."

Since majority of mac users have only one mouse button, how do they interact with an object? Obviously not with the second mouse button since the chances are, there isn't one on yours (unless you bought a multi-button mouse). But for those of you who use the original Mac mouse or the trackpad (not likely), how do you interact with an object?

2. What is the lowest frames per second (fps) you've experienced on your MBP? Please be sure to state the location of your character in WoW, time of the day, your time-zone, (real time, not game time). This will give me a good idea how well the MBP will perform on the upcoming expansion pack (which will, undoubtedly, require higher system specs).

3. The last MMORPG I played was about 6 years ago (Everquest). I quit the game eventually because of overcrowding, long lines of waiting to camp out certain locations, numerous bugs which have led to loss of several highly coveted items, lousy customer service and indifference in attitude of in-game GMs, ...etc. With these in mind, what is your WoW experience in general? If applicable, please be sure to state the followings:

a) Instances of game bug(s) resulting in loss of one or more of your prized possessions.
b) 3D character model clipping issues which caused your character to get stuck in some narrow/crowded areas.

4. One of the many big mistakes in Asheron's Call 2 was that high level quest areas and certain quest-related items were in the middle of a PvP area, causing source of endless gripes and complaints from many players. Are there areas like this in a typical Normal Realms server in WoW?

5. To those of you who have had experience with Asheron's Call 2, are the character development model similar in concept to Asheron's Call 2? In the game, you had a limited number of character development points to assign to a particular skill. Once spent, these points could not be recovered. So if you poured xx amount of points to raise Hamstring skill to a certain level of proficiency and later found out that this skill is a total waste of pts, you could not recover the pts allotted into the skill. Is this also the case with WoW character development?

More questions will be coming next week...
Old Jul 2, 2006, 12:03 PM   #2
HiRez
macrumors 601

1. Command (cloverleaf)-clicking is the same as a right mouse click, so you can play with one mouse button (although I'd definitely recommend a multibutton mouse for WoW). But I'm not sure what they mean by "interact with". You left-click on a monster, player, or NPC to select them, and them initiate an action with another button (such as casting a spell on them, attacking them with a melee weapon, and so on). Right-clicking on a character's portrait (upper-left corner after you select them, normally) brings up a drop-down menu with some choices.

2. I don't have a MacBook Pro, however I have seen these perform with very high frames rates in general (well over 40-50 fps on high settings, which is very good for WoW). I play comfortably on a a dual G5 with an old 64 MB Radeon 9600 Pro, which is far inferior to the Radeon 1600 Mobility in your MBP. Also, I don't think the expansion is adding anything in the way of eye candy, it's just more content. So don't worry about it, your machine is more than capable of a great WoW experience.

3a. I have never personally lost an item due to a game bug (and I have been playing since Day One a year and a half ago). The game is good about rolling back if it goes down, even items in transit in the mail or being traded are very rarely lost or mishandled. I do have a friend who because of a full-inventory bug in one quest lost her quest reward item, but she ticketed a GM and got the item back (it was a known bug).

3b. It's very rare to get stuck anywhere, they've done a pretty good job finding potential places and fixing them so this can't happen. There are a few places where it can still happen, however there is a command to get yourself unstuck which often works, or you can (in-game) petition a GM with your situation. Or in the worst case, you can use your hearthstone (or mage/druid teleport spell) to get you out.

4. If you are on a PvE ("normal") server this will never happen, as you are never forced into PvP. You can choose to flag yourself at any time for PvP, but if you are unflagged there is nothing the other faction can do to attack you (although you have to be careful, if you cast a buff on a friendly player who is flagged, it will flag you...takes 5 minutes for the PvP to unflag). However, you are often competing with players of both factions for resources and quest items. It just depends on the quest and the time of say and the population of your servers. I've never found it to be too much of a problem. If an area is crowded I'll just work on something else for a few minutes and generally people will have moved on.

5. Don't know Asheron's call, but in regards to Talent points, no, you cannot recover them once spent (you get one point per level starting at level 10). However, you can pay gold to "respec", where you get all your points back and can respend them all. The first time is cheap (1 gold), the second time more expensive (5 gold), then each additional time it's an additional 5 gold up to a maximum of 50 gold. In the latest patch there's a new thing where if you wait a while, the cost starts decaying over time. Also, if Blizzard does a total overhaul on a character class that really messes witht he talents, they'll generally give everyone in that class all their points back to respend.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 12:15 PM   #3
ScarletRed
macrumors regular

Thank you for taking your valuable time to provide detailed response. I appreciate it.

As for right-clicking to interact, how would you go about speaking to an NPC quest giver to receive or to activate a quest?
Old Jul 2, 2006, 12:18 PM   #4
madog
macrumors 65816

I wrote a huge reply but macrumors doesn't like me this morning. This is the second topic that has "disappeared" after trying to post a reply only to "reappear" after I refresh the forums. Just enough for me to lose my entire freakin' reply. Win some lose some.

And HiRez seemed to cover it all =)
Old Jul 2, 2006, 12:23 PM   #5
ScarletRed
macrumors regular

Don't worry, madog. I am a very patient person. I'll read yours when (and if) you can find the time to retype a detailed response. While HiRez did provide a good response, I know it is one person's experience. Yours would be invaluable.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 12:25 PM   #6
HiRez
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletRed
As for right-clicking to interact, how would you go about speaking to an NPC quest giver to receive or to activate a quest?
Same way, hold down the Command key and click on them. A Command-click simulates a right-click so you can use it anytime you would right-click.

Just get the game already, you know you wanna.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 12:35 PM   #7
ScarletRed
macrumors regular

Kill Stealing...

One of the many major issues I've had in Everquest was kill-stealing. I encountered many rude and inconsiderate high-level players who delighted at ruining fun by stealing their kills, pulling trains on hapless and unwary players....etc.

How are these issues handled in WoW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRez
...Just get the game already, you know you wanna.
Not just yet. I need to know a little more before I make a 6 months commitment. You can tell by the questions I ask that I may be new to WoW, but not to MMORPGs.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 12:43 PM   #8
madog
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRez
Same way, hold down the Command key and click on them. A Command-click simulates a right-click so you can use it anytime you would right-click.
Oh! One thing I had in my response was: "Get a 2+ button mouse!" Of course you can play with a single button mouse but even then you are also restricted to the trackpad on your MBP. There are certain key moments in a tough battle where reflexes are the key to victory. Sometimes there are split second decisions in which you need to get one more heal or one more hit in order to stay alive. That applies to dungeons, duels, 'regular' world quests and especially PvP.

Also, being able to map a spell/macro to an extra button on a 3+ button mouse is a big advantage in my opinion for any battle.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 12:55 PM   #9
ScarletRed
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog
Oh! One thing I had in my response was: "Get a 2+ button mouse!" Of course you can play with a single button mouse but even then you are also restricted to the trackpad on your MBP. There are certain key moments in a tough battle where reflexes are the key to victory...
Having been a loyal user of trackball for about 10 years, I recently bought a Logitech Marble Mouse. Despite the name, it's actually a trackball and mine is the four-button version. Has anyone here have had any experience with trackballs in MMORPGs, particularly in regard to WoW?
Old Jul 2, 2006, 12:56 PM   #10
madog
macrumors 65816

Quote:
One of the many major issues I've had in Everquest was kill-stealing. I encountered many rude and inconsiderate high-level players who delighted at ruining fun by stealing their kills, pulling trains on hapless and unwary players....etc.

How are these issues handled in WoW?
This is somewhat of a problem in WoW in certain areas where large amounts of gold can be found from monsters. In these areas "farmers" are sometimes a problem as they are constant and unyielding. However, most of these areas have few or no quests.

When a high level player is killing in a low level area he usually won't be around for long. They might be doing old quests in order to gain favor with a particular faction or just to help a low level friend blow through an otherwise tedious quest. Other than that, it might mean the person is just bored and being an ass.

In all these circumstances it might be in your best interest to just move on to another quest and return later. Otherwise, you can wait in the area, sit up and take a stretch or get something to drink or eat [sometimes I'd forget!] and wait for the respawn which is about 5-10 minutes. More if it is a world-boss or rare spawn.

Quote:
Having been a loyal user of trackball for about 10 years, I recently bought a Logitech Marble Mouse. Despite the name, it's actually a trackball and mine is the four-button version. Has anyone here have had any experience with trackballs in MMORPGs, particularly in regard to WoW?
As for a trackball I have never used one. From what I understand it fits into the "use what you know" category. So if it works for you and you like using it in WoW.... then go for it. I've heard from people that swear by them and won't use anything else in WoW or any other game for that matter.

Last edited by madog; Jul 2, 2006 at 01:01 PM.
madog is offline   0
Old Jul 2, 2006, 01:04 PM   #11
ScarletRed
macrumors regular

Mouse button config.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog
...Also, being able to map a spell/macro to an extra button on a 3+ button mouse is a big advantage in my opinion for any battle.
Are these button-mapping done in-game or out of game?

In-game configuration of mouse buttons will restrict the button assignments to in-game only. Once you exit the game, the buttons should return to their previous state.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 01:25 PM   #12
HiRez
macrumors 601

Quote:

In-game configuration of mouse buttons will restrict the button assignments to in-game only. Once you exit the game, the buttons should return to their previous state.
There's a key binding preference screen where you can map just about anything to anything, including key-combos (shift-option-control-a, for example), mouse buttons (including mouse buttons 4 and 5, scroll wheel, and "chording" button actions), and combo-clicks (shift-comman-right-click, for example). They don't affect anything outside of the game (other applications). The things that are bindable are just about everything, from movement to view switching to targeting to combat and spell slots to opening info panes such as Guild and Character and Inventory. Also, many addons (plugins you can download and easily install) can add their own bindable actions to the key bindings interface. Just about anything you can do in the game can be bound to a key or controller action. Additionally, you can create macros to do more complex things, which are in turn also bindable.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 01:26 PM   #13
madog
macrumors 65816

Quote:

It would depend on your trackball. For example, I had a MS Intellimouse and I was able to map the additional thumb/side buttons but not the left/right scroll wheel clicks. There actually was a period when OS X recognized them but that didn't last too long [I have no idea what happened] and was after I stopped playing WoW. This was without any additional drivers as MS didn't even support the scroll wheel clicks on that particular mouse.

Basically, I'd guess that if you can map/use them in OS X then you should be able to in WoW.

Otherwise, there are programs like USB Overdrive which allow you to map buttons on a USB device specifically for certain applications 'out of game'. So when you have Safari open button #4 will go back a page, but when you are in WoW button #4 will melt faces.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 01:43 PM   #14
Jovian9
macrumors 68000

Quote:

I use a logitech trackball mouse (trackball, 2 buttons, and scroll wheel) to play WoW and love it. I use it for any game I play on my Macs, even unplug it from my iMac to use on the PowerBook if I'm gonna play some games on it.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 01:43 PM   #15
ddrueckhammer
macrumors 65816

I was a long time Eq player and played WoW for about a year but have recently put it on hold because it was sucking up my life.

About Kill stealing...I never found this to be a problem in WoW so much as there are areas that are fairly well hunted but there are many places that can be hunted at a particular level and it is easy to find one that is uninhabited at any time. For quests, there really isn't any camping because most of the mobs with good drops are located in instances. (a dungeon that is a specific version for you and your party). Also, many quests can be shared with people of the same faction as you so if someone is camping something they will ususally team up with you and share that quest..

I've also never got a character stuck although I did it a few times in Eq. Wow is overall a better game than Eq (especially when I started Eq in '98) Leveling is quick and there isn't an experience penalty for dying so it is easier to take risks you wouldn't have in Eq) If you die in a place that you cannot get your body, you can resurrect in the cemetary and your equipment will take damage and you will have to pay to repair it. This can get expensive if you die repeatedly...

Finally, I would recommend joining a PvP server in WoW. I know it wasn't that appealing in Eq but in WoW you probaby won't even see the opposite faction until you are in your 20's or 30's. There are areas like near Scarlet Monastery or Stranglethorn Vale that the Alliance and Horde clash at lower levels but usually the high levels are just passing through to get to an instance and won't be there long. Most of the below level 20 areas would be very difficult for the opposite faction to get to without having to fight guards and other high level characters. PvP adds an extra layer of fun at higher levels and it is highly recommended for this game. You don't have to PvP at all if you want even on a PvP server but you will want to once you see a raid going on in Hillsbrand or visit your first battle ground...If you want to avoid the opposite faction for as long as possible play a Night Elf as they start on an island all by themselves...

Finally, you need to get a USB laser mouse to play this game. At lower levels a trackpad will be fine but try to take the Temple Zul'Farrack or finish the Uldaman instance and you will see that a track pad will just not work. There are higher level instances like Molten Core where this is more true but these instances will be among the first really challenging places to play....at least they were for me. ( I solo healed the Temple in ZF with my Resto druid at lvl 40 for the first time and it was very intense..) The first insance you will do (at least if you are alliance will be the Deadmines in Westfall usually called VC for the main boss Edwin Vancleef (there is a fun quest series involving this instance). There is 1 decently challenging room in VC and it serves as a good place for people to learn to work together...If you are Horde then Wailing Caverns will probably be your first instance and you can fish for Deviate Fish here which sell pretty good to Alchemists...

Good Luck and I hope you have fun with WoW, I know I have. Man this thread makes me want to pick it back up but I will fail out of school if I do...

Last edited by ddrueckhammer; Jul 2, 2006 at 01:57 PM.
ddrueckhammer is offline   0
Old Jul 2, 2006, 01:47 PM   #16
madog
macrumors 65816

Side note: Just came to this topic again and at the bottom was an Ad for buying gold in WoW.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 01:57 PM   #17
ScarletRed
macrumors regular

Solo Viability

As the acronym MMORPG implies, most of online games such as WoW are designed with group combats/adventures in mind. Although solo'ing is frowned upon my the majority of die-hard players, there are cases where solo'ing is the only viable option (time constraint, for instance, where one cannot spend too much time searching for an able party).

I searched through WoW forums and found that the Mage and Rogue class are the two most solo'able class. But solo'able upto what level? And is high level solo'ing really practical? Can a level 60 character be expected to enter an instance/zone/whatever alone and come out of it alive? I remember Everquest claiming solo'ing was a viable option but to those of us who actually tried the game, we knew that wasn't true. Is this also the case with WoW? Can a high level character still have a chance to grab NICE gears and equipments by solo'ing?

Btw, what do you mean by gold in WoW? Buying in-game currency with real money? If so, then that's absolutely absurd.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 02:02 PM   #18
ddrueckhammer
macrumors 65816

Quote:
As the acronym MMORPG implies, most of online games such as WoW are designed with group combats/adventures in mind. Although solo'ing is frowned upon my the majority of die-hard players, there are cases where solo'ing is the only viable option (time constraint, for instance, where one cannot spend too much time searching for an able party).

I searched through WoW forums and found that the Mage and Rogue class are the two most solo'able class. But solo'able upto what level? And is high level solo'ing really practical? Can a level 60 character be expected to enter an instance/zone/whatever alone and come out of it alive? I remember Everquest claiming solo'ing was a viable option but to those of us who actually tried the game, we knew that wasn't true. Is this also the case with WoW? Can a high level character still have a chance to grab NICE gears and equipments by solo'ing?

Btw, what do you mean by gold in WoW? Buying in-game currency with real money? If so, then that's absolutely absurd.
Yes you can solo fine into higher levels with many classes In fact you can solo all the way to 60 with most if you want...Locks, Priests, and Druids all make easy soloing as well in my experience because most classes can be specced with talent points for optimal soloing...You will want to group up for instances that are at a similar level as you but you can usually solo instances that are 10-20 levels below you such as the Deadmine, WC, SM etc. Higher level instances are not soloable however. You will probably want to group up at least some just to get your skills up for instances as they can be really challanging but you can definately solo all the way to 60...
Old Jul 2, 2006, 02:09 PM   #19
ScarletRed
macrumors regular

More on Soloing and Kiting

What is your #1 choice in race/class for kiting?
What about for solo'ing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrueckhammer
... but you can definately solo all the way to 60...
So you are saying that it IS practical to solo in WoW?

ddrueckhammer, when did you stop playing WoW? I ask this so I have an idea how long you have been out of touch with the game. I know that in MMORPGs, rules tend to change quite often...
Old Jul 2, 2006, 02:13 PM   #20
ddrueckhammer
macrumors 65816

Quote:
What about for solo'ing?
Unfortunately, Kiting doesn't work all that well in WoW. I fear kited with my lock but there are better ways to get exp. Shadow Priests and Locks are absurdly powerful though. Lock's pets keep mobs off of them so they don't have to use that much mana. Shadow priests are damage dealing monsters but they need to team up with a warrior or druid to do optimal damage. Feral Druids do tons of damage too but shifting correctly takes practice. Mages are great to have around in instances for crowd control and DPS but mana is limited. Any class can eat food to gain mana or hp or drink pots. Professions are important in this game. I did really well soloing with my feral druid. Druids are jacks of all trades masters of none so they can solo very well. They shapeshift to different animal forms to get those skills. They are fun to level but they aren't that great end game because they end up being healbots with a spell that can give others an extra mana bar instantly. They are always welcome in groups though because they can heal. All of the classes in WoW are pretty balanced so just pick one that appeals to you. I wouldn't play a Pally though personally.

Last edited by ddrueckhammer; Jul 2, 2006 at 02:20 PM.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 02:22 PM   #21
ddrueckhammer
macrumors 65816

I quit about a month ago. There have been a couple of updates since then I think but I don't think it has changed that much. I will probably go back to it but I need to focus more on school now.

Get WoW, pick whatever character you want and just play. You will have fun.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 02:26 PM   #22
ScarletRed
macrumors regular

How Would You Handle This Situation?

From someone named Suialthor on WoW forums, posted on June 26, 2006:
----------------------------------------------------------
Must be nice.
All I see are guilds with multiple aoe classes going non stop to prevent ANYONE from tag'n a mob. They even justify this saying they "NEED" the gear for their instance and scrubs should leave.
Often they will train mobs to help encourage people to leave.

----------------------------------------------------------

This is just one of the many complaints and gripes from ordinary players. Posts like these appear to be in contradiction to what you people have stated about WoW... So I checked their servers (and a long list at that!). Majority of them (normal ones and not PvP) were highly populated (I guess this means 3000+ players per server?). So if I were to buy WoW and sign in, I'd probably find myself as a victim of marauding guilds... unless I join a guild. But I have no desire to associate myself with such players as I despise their conduct.

Anyway, if you were to find yourself the victim of plundering guilds/parties, what would you do?

The reason why I quit Everquest 6 years ago was because of rude and inconsiderate players. I don't see why WoW would be any different unless they had very strict rules against such conduct and the power to enforce such policies.

Last edited by ScarletRed; Jul 2, 2006 at 02:46 PM.
ScarletRed is offline   0
Old Jul 2, 2006, 02:28 PM   #23
madog
macrumors 65816

Yes, using real currency to buy virtual gold for a make believe world. It does screw up the economy a bit and inflate prices in the game.

Quote:
What about for solo'ing?

So you are saying that it IS practical to solo in WoW?

ddrueckhammer, when did you stop playing WoW?

Pretty much the ONLY kiteable class are Paladins. Furthermore I would personally say that that they are also the best for soloing most non-dungeon/boss quests 1-59 which is pretty much what I did. That is in terms of survivability. Paladins are the weakest chars in the game but can stay alive the longest. Alternately, Mages/"Shadow" spec'd Priests/Rogues can dish out huge amounts of damage in a shorter time but have extremely weak defenses. So depending on how you measure it, whether it be by doing the most damage or staying alive the longest, many of the classes are easy to solo with if you know how to play it. I'd have to say that "Holy" spec'd Priests would be difficult to solo with along with certain Warlocks.

1-59 one could solo with ANY class while avoiding dungeons and finishing the more difficult quests at a higher level. Anything is possible.

However, the game changes at 60. Once you get there you MUST work with a group in order to advance through a 5-man or 40 man dungeon in order to get better equipment.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 02:30 PM   #24
ScarletRed
macrumors regular

Locks? What locks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrueckhammer
Unfortunately, Kiting doesn't work all that well in WoW. I fear kited with my lock but there are better ways to get exp. Shadow Priests and Locks are absurdly powerful though. Lock's pets keep mobs off of them so they don't have to use that much mana...
Locks? The only locks I am aware of are the metallic gadgets to securing valuables. But something tells me that is not what you are referring to... Would you care to elaborate on that?
Old Jul 2, 2006, 02:33 PM   #25
ddrueckhammer
macrumors 65816

Eh, there are juvenile guilds and players on every server on every online game. If you just want to solo then play eq for Mac. Nobody will bother you believe me....WoW has its areas like STV that are very contested but there are many that one can solo in fine. The beaches in Hillsbrand and the Wetlands can be contested but islands and places like Desolace can be great for soloing...

People just like to complain in forums. There aren't any long camps in WoW so anyone who needs an item will get it and leave or they will offer to group up with you. There are some powerlevelers who will dominate a camp but there are alternative places to hunt that are just as good. This island of Feathermoon is great in your early 40s and I rarely saw many people hunting there. Instances can't be entered by anyone but who you are in a group with so there is no contest there...

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games