Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

musicjon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2003
Nashville TN
OK, so I made the switch. I'm thrilled with my new 800Mhz 17" FP refurb. Apple forgot to send the 10.2 update, but it arrived today.

Questions:

How do I shut off the display, but leave everything running (downloads, iTunes, whatever)? I've tried messing with the Energy Saver panel, but no luck. Maybe this is something that is addressed in 10.2?

I've also read that the OS has certain disk functions scheduled for early in the morning. How does this work if the machine is sleeping?

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
It seems you missed one key feature of the energy saver.
Go to it, drag 'put the comp to sleep' - never
'use separate times to put the display to sleep' - 1 minute.
that will keep your appls running, and your display will shut off in a minute. :D

Happy Switching.

pepeleuepe

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2002
Los Angeles, California
Re: Help a switcher - FP iMac

Originally posted by musicjon
I've also read that the OS has certain disk functions scheduled for early in the morning. How does this work if the machine is sleeping?

Welcome to the Mac, we're glad to have you here :) .

If the computer is asleep at night the system won't perform the system maintnence. So you can either leave your computer on at night with the display off, or you can download a utility like Mac Janitor to perform the maintnence whenever you want to. I haven't used this program before because my computers on all the time folding, but others on this board have mentioned good things about it.

Once again welcome, and let us know if you have any other questions.

musicjon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2003
Nashville TN
Thanks

Thanks for the help. I'm glad to say that hanging out here watching this board for a few months was as big of a factor as the cool software/hardware in making the decision to switch. I really do see a difference in the attitudes and behavior of the Apple crowd over the Wintel crowd.

musicjon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2003
Nashville TN
No luck

Well,

I made sure my settings were as suggested here, but try as I might I can't make the display sleep. It will lower the brightness then cycle back to full bright every 60 seconds or so. This is pretty lame. Now it's not just bright, it's a strobe light too.

Could this be connected to the fact that I couldn't install disc 2 of the Jaguar update? The morons at Apple Care forgot it. I've only been bugging them about shipping the entire update to me (It was supposed to come with the machine) for 2 weeks+. It arrived on Monday, but only disc 1.

Any advice?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.