Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thumb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
Hi all,

I am trying to install more RAM on my girlfriends Al Powerbook, and I can't get the stupid RAM lid off. I am using jewelers screwdrivers, and the little screws are real stuck. I got one off by hand, two off using a wrench in combination with the screwdriver, but the fourth just won't budge, and I have been putting a fair amount pressure on it, and dont want to force anything.

any thoughts?

thanks

thumb

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
ChrisBrightwell said:
I've heard of some PBs having the screws *glued* into place. I have no idea how to loosen them, though. Good luck.
There's no question about it, all of them (including the new MBPs) use some sort of thread locking glue, which is quite common in applications like this--its on there to make sure the screws don't jiggle loose during regular use, since it is a notebook. And this can definitely happen--I've seen the screen screws on a 12" PB work their way out and fall off--not good.

Anyway, I've upgraded those, and those screws are indeed REALLY tight, but if you put enough pressure into it it should come off.

My tip would be to make sure you're using a screwdriver that is a good, tight fit in the screw--if it's too small, you could very easily strip the screw. And if memory serves, those screws are very shallow but actually have pretty fat slots (probably for exactly this reason), and the average jewler's screwdriver is too sharp for them--it ends up not going all the way in and making a loose fit with the slots. You need sort of a smallish, blunt one to get a solid fit in the slots.

Anyway, once you've got a screwdriver that's a good fit, just twist really hard--that broke the extra-tight one loose for me (why is it that one always seems tighter than the others?).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.