Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
Hello mac lovers,

i have an old ibook, motherboard died, with an 80 gig hd that i would like to reuse.

Is there a way for me to take out the harddrive and reuse it as a firewire/usb 2 harddrive?

thanks,
r.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Ah.. now I see the rest of your post..

And yes.. you can.. which exernal case you get depends on what accessories you'll need.
A small form-factor case for a 2.5" drive or a larger one for 3.5" drives (will require a 2.5" -> 3.5" adapter).

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
who designs these horrible things?

i would love to find a tiny 2.5" hd enclosure with the following qualities:

-tiny
-a built in wrap around short cord. when you carry a usb cord it almost doubles the size! whats the point when you need 6" of cord?

any suggestions?

thanks,
r.

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there
Just did what you are looking to do ( amazing how Starbucks killed my iBook ( when poured into it ) ).

I am using this case with a Toshiba 100GB drive on my new MacBook.

It came with short cables.

Max.

2ndPath

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2006
I don't know, whether there are any cases with a built-in cable.

If it comes to the question USB or Firewire, it depends on the computer you are using it with. With Macs and Firewire you are generally on the save side. For USB there seems to be an issue with the power over the USB cable. Not every port provides enough power to supply an external drive. That's why many cases come with a cable, which can be plugged into two USB ports to combine their power. Myself I had one 2.5 USB drive which worked fine on a Powerbook Titanium, not at all on a Powermac G5 and occasionally on a Macbook Pro. If a connection to two USB ports was used, it worked fine on all of them. So this is not really a big problem, but an inconvenience, especially if you want minimize the cable.

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
whyrichard said:
who designs these horrible things?

i would love to find a tiny 2.5" hd enclosure with the following qualities:

-tiny
-a built in wrap around short cord. when you carry a usb cord it almost doubles the size! whats the point when you need 6" of cord?

any suggestions?

thanks,
r.

I haven't seen any with cords that wrap flush around the enclosure. Maybe try velcro straps? A bigger bag?

I just received my first HD enclosure, a Macally firewire and USB 2.5 to recycle the 40 Gig HD from my Gateway. Small, pretty blue light, transfers fast, makes a high pitched whiny sound: What more could you want? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.