Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marchcapital

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Canada
I finally went out out a purchased the Black MacBook Ultimate with the 1GB installed on thursday! I have to say it is one of my best purchases. It runs quite hot but not unconfortably so. The screen was my biggest worry, i thought for sure i was going to hate it but in fact its better then the matte screen in my opinion. As long as your sitting in front of it with the brightness on high theres absolutly no glare!

I dont have time now although Im going to write a review in the near future.

If theres any questions or picture requests, please dont hesitate.

bradc

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2006
Canader eh
Good stuff:) I've been contemplating getting one and a Mini but I have no use for them! It's that Apple Crack!

I see you're afellow Canuck........from Ontario...?

marchcapital

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Canada
bradc said:
Good stuff:) I've been contemplating getting one and a Mini but I have no use for them! It's that Apple Crack!

I see you're afellow Canuck........from Ontario...?

I am from Ontario, Kanata to be exact...the home of the Ottawa Senetors

infact, Readen is my neighbour

bradc

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2006
Canader eh
marchcapital said:
I am from Ontario, Kanata to be exact...the home of the Ottawa Senetors

infact, Readen is my neighbour

Hahaha, I'm 45min outside of Toronto, a bitter rival to the Sens:p I played Rugby near Kanata, nice area.

azzurri000

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2005
Dr. Bombay said:

Where did you end up buying the Macbook from? Not too many places in Ottawa that deal with Apple computers.

BTW, another Kanata resident here! :D

I know that the question wasn't directed towards me, but here is a place:

The Mac Group
http://www.themacgroup.ca/

(Algonquin College and Ottawa U might have some on display, but you would have to call and see)

edit: BTW congrats on the purchase! It's good to hear that the screen doesn't have bad glare, like the glossy screens that I've come across before (windoze machines.)

Kaiser Sose

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2006
Canadia-Land
Sandy Hill Represent!

I live in Sandy Hill and got my white Macbook delivered last week.

Its my first Mac and although I ahven't had the time to monkey with it too much yet, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna love it.

Word!

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
you're going to love it. IMO the glare is almost non-existant. This is a much less glossy screen than what people are used to on PCs.

Kaiser Sose

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2006
Canadia-Land
Agreed. I haven't noticed any glare at all. But the colours! YOWZA! You know what, I'll take having to adjust my screen a millimeter up or down every once in a while to avoid a little glare if it means that every colour on the screen jumps out at me like they are on fire!

But the huge track pad take a little getting used to....

marchcapital

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Canada
Dr. Bombay said:

Where did you end up buying the Macbook from? Not too many places in Ottawa that deal with Apple computers.

BTW, another Kanata resident here! :D
lol, buying an apple in ottawa is a pain in the ass. i had to drive to toronto to pick it up at the yorkdale mall.

marchcapital

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Canada
Scarlet Fever said:
does the MB "ultimate" have a single gig stick or 2 512MB sticks?

Congrats on your purchase, btw :D

it unfortunatly has 2 x 512. i would have bought an extra gig it was 1 x 1gb

marchcapital

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Canada
azzurri000 said:
I know that the question wasn't directed towards me, but here is a place:

The Mac Group
http://www.themacgroup.ca/

(Algonquin College and Ottawa U might have some on display, but you would have to call and see)

edit: BTW congrats on the purchase! It's good to hear that the screen doesn't have bad glare, like the glossy screens that I've come across before (windoze machines.)

the mac group is a pretty nice little spot although they do not offer any education discount or the ipod discount. for that reason i drove to toronto so i could get the edu. discount and a free ipod.

Miguey

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2006
So Cal 909
Unless you were going to upgrade it soon, the 2x512 sticks was a good choice, matched RAM has a small increase above a single stick of RAM.

marchcapital

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Canada
eidrunner247 said:
congrats - how much did it set you back though?

$2500!!! although i purchased the 30GB ipod video with MacBook so i will be recieving $215 back as a mail in rebate. i also purchased apple care so if my lappy gets so hot its insides fry i get it repaired at no additional cost to me.

csean

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2004
Venice (the old one)
Question for Brikeh re. Samsung 205BW

brikeh said:
:D LOL @ AppleCrack...so true

If you don't mind my asking, how do you like the Samsung 205BW? I'm thinking of getting one for my PB 12" G4/1.33 with 1.25GB of RAM, 64MB Geforce video card, so similar setup to yours.

Looks like pretty good specs on it, though some people have complained about high resolution "squished" into 20-inch screen, saying 21-inch is a lot better. Can't really think it makes that big a difference.

Price looks great at @ 280 Euro (I'm in Europe), which is a lot less than the other 20-inch monitors, and even less than lots of 19-inchers.

Any feedback much appreciated.
Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.