Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Jul 10, 2006, 03:50 AM   #1
ithil
macrumors newbie

Display a message before deleting/renaming a file.

Hi all,

If I try to delete ( by emptying trash) a XCode project, when it is open, it will display a message [The operation cannot be complete because the item "main.m" is in use] & trash is not emptied.

I want to display a similar error message if my application is trying to delete/rename a file, which is used by other application. Is there a way to provide such a behaviour?

Thanks...
ithil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 03:15 AM   #2
slooksterPSV
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to slooksterPSV Send a message via MSN to slooksterPSV Send a message via Yahoo to slooksterPSV
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithil
Hi all,

If I try to delete ( by emptying trash) a XCode project, when it is open, it will display a message [The operation cannot be complete because the item "main.m" is in use] & trash is not emptied.

I want to display a similar error message if my application is trying to delete/rename a file, which is used by other application. Is there a way to provide such a behaviour?

Thanks...
Now, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but when you open a stream to a file it registers as being open, now it is possible to test whether there is a stream going into or out of that file based on its location? ID? something? There are many programs that do this, so it is possible - you may want to search for file isopen command or something.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 11:54 AM   #3
savar
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to savar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithil
You can't delete a file that is open for writing. That's why the trash gives you that message.

If you want your app to give the same message, open the file for writing.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 04:14 AM   #4
ithil
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by savar
You can't delete a file that is open for writing. That's why the trash gives you that message.

If you want your app to give the same message, open the file for writing.
I guess i could have done that.. thanks for your time..
ithil is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming