Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abhishek

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2006
Hi All,

Any idea where I could find some free tutorial/basics of how to get started and work on Mac OS X Tiger. My MacBook is going to be shipped in less than a week and being a total MS guy until now, i'm kinda skeptical (even though EXCITED:D ) about the switch .

Any inputs would be great.

Regards,
Abhi

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Start here. Let us know when you're done reading, and we'll give you more homework. ;) :D

Hobodale

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2006

Pittsax

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
One book that I found useful waaay back in the Jaguar days was David Pogue's Missing Manual book for OSX. In particular, there's a section that deals with the "What is the Mac equivalent of X" questions that are bound to pop up when switching.

mromero

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2005
Los Angeles
abhishek said:
Hi All,

Any idea where I could find some free tutorial/basics of how to get started and work on Mac OS X Tiger. My MacBook is going to be shipped in less than a week and being a total MS guy until now, i'm kinda skeptical (even though EXCITED:D ) about the switch .

Any inputs would be great.

Regards,
Abhi

Not free, but :
Mac OS X Tiger: Missing Manual (Paperback) by David Pogue

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/05...598785/ref=sr_1_1/102-7195623-4541769?ie=UTF8

18 Bucks

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Why not.. I'll chip in my vote for Pogue's book too. I bought it the day I got my first mac and it has always been helpful. I've looked at the 'dummies' books, but they really aren't as good.

yt

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
to be honest, you don't need a book. OS X is very intuitive. still, if you have any questions, (and I'm sure you won't have many) feel free to ask them here, and they will be answered:)

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
yojitani said:
BTW am I the only one who finds the syntax of this thread slightly amusing... as if OSX needed a book on how to deal with dummies...:D
I also found it odd, but felt as though I'd already criticized the grammar of enough threads for one day:)

d wade

macrumors 65816
Jun 27, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
yojitani said:
BTW am I the only one who finds the syntax of this thread slightly amusing... as if OSX needed a book on how to deal with dummies...:D

i certainly did. only reason i even clicked to read.

abhishek

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2006
hahaha!! I shouldn't be laughin, should I?!

I also found it odd, but felt as though I'd already criticized the grammar of enough threads for one day

oopsie dicey!! hehe..Just realised it now!! sigh..next time on, shall make sure!! unless you guys want to have a nice time at my expense! sigh:( hehe

Thanks guys for all the help. THink the guides out here at macrumors should be enough for now :D

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
IJ Reilly said:
Another vote for Pogue. "Missing Manual" is one of the top-selling computer books on any subject, and for good reason.

Second or third that. That's what I bought for Tiger and Jaguar, very easy to follow. Also try the iMovie and iDVD book by him as well. Those are the two best books as a consumer I'd buy to learn as much as you are able to :) I think the main reason for getting these books is that if you are coming from a windows world you may need to untrain yourself from multiple steps and just learn that it "is" easier to use/learn a computer ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.