Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jul 11, 2006, 12:47 PM   #1
onlyONE
macrumors member

Nike + iPod Nano

I have a new iPod Nano which has started running my school/athletic/work life(I use iCal to track swim/running and weight practices, when classes are and when I work). I love the functions on my iPod, it's fantastic, and this morning I noticed the Nike + iPod thing...which seems pretty cool. I want to use this, but I JUST(as in on Sunday, lol) bought a new pair of $100 dollar running shoes and I really don't want to have to buy new ones just to use this. Is there an alternative for it? Like an ankle strap or something to hold the cesnor the program uses? If so, I'd really love to know. Thanks!
onlyONE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 01:13 PM   #2
Kalns
Banned

I'm pretty sure the sensor uses the impact of your foot in the sole of the show to work. At any rate, just run your butt off for three months and then get a new Nike+ pair .
Kalns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 02:45 PM   #3
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

make sure that the nikes are the right shoe for you. I too would like to try this nano+nike thing, but it's much more important to wear a running shoe that fits, supports, and cushions as you need. Anyone who buys running shoes based on price, looks, or ipod compatibility is asking for a world of hurt.

edit: been looking a little more at this. First, it doesn't seem like you really need a nike shoe to use this; it's just that only a nike+ shoe has the little pocket for the sensor. But I see no reason you couldn't use it with another shoe. Second, there's an interesting little footnote on this page:
"The sensor's battery is not replacable. Battery life will vary considerably based on use and other factors."

Um... what? Battery is not replaceable? Is this a joke? I have an old nike watch+sensor based on the same technology, and the sensor runs on AAA batteries, and they have to be changed after about 10 days of running. This sensor probably uses a Lithium Ion battery, but still. If it's not rechargable and not replaceable there's absolutely no way I'd buy one.

Last edited by QCassidy352; Jul 11, 2006 at 02:56 PM.
QCassidy352 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 09:20 AM   #4
onlyONE
macrumors member

Ug, what do they expect us to do when the battery runs out? I'm currently running 3+ miles every day...no way that battery would hold up for very long. I'd like to hear a predicted or tested battery life anyway...but I'm not going to waste my money in any case. I think I'll wait and see if they revise it to be chargeable or have a replaceable battery. Maybe by that time I'll need new shoes, lol, because there is no way I'm bringing these ones back, I ran in them for the first time yesterday, and again today...I love them.
onlyONE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:38 AM   #5
Flowbee
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyONE
Ug, what do they expect us to do when the battery runs out? I'm currently running 3+ miles every day...no way that battery would hold up for very long. I'd like to hear a predicted or tested battery life anyway...but I'm not going to waste my money in any case. I think I'll wait and see if they revise it to be chargeable or have a replaceable battery. Maybe by that time I'll need new shoes, lol, because there is no way I'm bringing these ones back, I ran in them for the first time yesterday, and again today...I love them.
Well, I have a watch that's been running for 2+ years with its original battery. I'm not too worried about the Nike+iPod battery life. And the Nike+iPod kit costs all of $29. It's not like you're losing a huge investment when the battery dies.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod