Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
I need to invest in an external HD for my MacBook (which has a 100Gb drive). The main purpose at this point is for backups (i.e. I want to have a bootable backup drive). At this time I don't have a digital video camera, or a large music collection, or any of the typical things that tend to consume hard drive space.

This drive (a 120Gb Seagate, price $62.99 plus shipping) looks like a winner for my purposes. My primary concern is this: Should I be looking for a larger capacity drive (e.g. this model, a 320Gb drive)?

P.S. Probably going to pair it with this enclosure (the MacAlly FW400+USB combo). If you have an opinion about that choice, I'd like to hear it as well. ;)

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Thumbs up on your seagate disk & enclosure choices.

Personally, I'd gamble on the future and shoot for a larger hard drive, myself. But I can't seem to find anything solidly supporting that the enclosure works with large hard drives other than this statement on the manufacturer's website: "Designed to be used with all 3.5" IDE hard disks". Does "all" mean "all"?

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
yellow said:
Personally, I'd gamble on the future and shoot for a larger hard drive, myself...
Yes, I'm debating that as well.

Question: If I were to buy a larger external drive, and partition it appropriately, am I correct that I could clone my internal hard drive into a 100Gb-sized partition, and then have the remaining space on the external drive for, you know, whatever?

yellow said:
But I can't seem to find anything solidly supporting that the enclosure works with large hard drives other than this statement on the manufacturer's website: "Designed to be used with all 3.5" IDE hard disks". Does "all" mean "all"?
On this page from the manufacturer's web site, they say "Supports any capacity 3.5" ATA Hard Drives." So I think that's a yes.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Lyle said:
Question: If I were to buy a larger external drive, and partition it appropriately, am I correct that I could clone my internal hard drive into a 100Gb-sized partition, and then have the remaining space on the external drive for, you know, whatever?

Absolutely.

Lyle said:
On this page from the manufacturer's web site, they say "Supports any capacity 3.5" ATA Hard Drives." So I think that's a yes.

Clearly I didn't look too hard. Lazy. :)

But this confirms that you should get a larger hard drive. :)

jrober

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2003
Heathfield, UK
I agree with the last poster, I didn't start with an enclosure, instead went for the Iomega MiniMax 250gb. Does the business as a backup and the extra firewire and usb ports are useful when my laptop needs to be on the desk with the screen.

John

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Stridder44 said:
You could also try getting an external HD usb/firewire enclosure- where you put in your own internal HD into the external case.
Well, that's what I thought I was doing. :confused:

The Seagate drive is a 3.5" internal drive (I ended up ordering a 200Gb model, by the way) that I will install into the MacAlly enclosure that I mentioned.

Like you mentioned, if I do end up "outgrowing" the 200Gb drive, I can always just upgrade that piece and re-use the existing enclosure.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Lyle said:
Well, that's what I thought I was doing. :confused:

The Seagate drive is a 3.5" internal drive (I ended up ordering a 200Gb model, by the way) that I will install into the MacAlly enclosure that I mentioned.

Like you mentioned, if I do end up "outgrowing" the 200Gb drive, I can always just upgrade that piece and re-use the existing enclosure.

Im a retard. Excuse me while I go back to my confused world.

seany916

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2006
Southern California
Reliability, reliability, reliability...

oh, & get a larger drive

the GB/$ ratio gets better as the drive gets larger

plan for growth, would suck to have to buy a 2nd one later

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
Sesshi said:
Maybe a bit late, but the Enermax Laureate is a dual SATA/IDE external enclosure with USB2.0 (not FW400, alas). It means you can move to SATA drives in the future.

The lack of FW wouldn't be very good considering he's going to use it as a backup device. USB = no good for that sort of thing.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Sesshi said:
Eh? Why is USB no good for backup? He's got a Macbook (USB2.0).
I want to be able to boot up from an external drive, if need be. It is my understanding that that option's only available for Firewire drives.

If I was merely using the external drive for backup copies of files, or extra storage, then yes, USB would work.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Success!

The hard drive (a 200Gb Seagate drive) and enclosure (from MacAlly) arrived today. The hard drive was an OEM part, so it didn't come with cables, or documentation, or anything -- just the bare drive. That was a little disconcerting, but it turned out to be no big deal. The MacAlly enclosure, in contrast, was a full "retail kit", which came in a box with Firewire and USB cables, etc. -- everything you'd need.

From the time I got all the parts out of their boxes, it took me maybe ten minutes before I'd installed the hard drive in the enclosure and was up and running. Not difficult at all.

I plugged in the new drive and used the Mac OS X Disk Utility to partition it into two partitions: an 80Gb partition for the backup, and the remainder as "data". Formatted both partitions.

Next, I downloaded Super Duper! (based on numerous recommendations) and used that to do a full backup. It took a little over an hour. (I will probably purchase a license for Super Duper so that I don't have to do a full backup each time.) Once it was done, I rebooted to make sure that I could indeed boot from the external drive (which was the whole point). It worked fine, although it is noticeably slower to boot from the external drive.

So, I now have a backup solution and I can sleep soundly at night. The total expense was about $135, including shipping. I don't know that I really saved any money doing it this way, but it was a fun little project.

kaboutertje

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2006
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Glad you can finally sleep now :). I still got a normal pc with a 250gig hard drive in it which I use for a gaming machine atm.
I'm thinking of buying a macbook though and selling my normal pc, I would need a external hard drive though. (with the biggeste macbook hd being 120gig)

I want it to be:
- Small
- Silent
- ok looking
- At least 250gig

Right now I found these
Toshiba 32g (on the right compared to a lacie d2)
€150
320gig
7200rpm
front.jpg

Western digital mybook essential
€109 250gig
€140 320gig
7200rpm 16mb
wdfMyBook_Essential_1U.jpg

Lacie hard drive usb porsche
€119
250gig
7200rpm
hd_porsche_glasses.jpg

I think I'm going for the WD mybook 320gig, the design is ok the size is good it's fast and from what I heard not that noisy. But for people that are in the market for a budget external hard disk I hope this can be of use to you.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
Glad to hear you can sleep comfortably. However, did you ever think if you God forbid had a fire and lost your mac and hard drive? Do you have copies of your important docs, pics, etc. stored off-site? Just something many don't think about- until it is too late that is.

I think I will buy one of those you ordered- sounds like a real deal and a great way to not only back up but have additional HD space if needed.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
flyfish29 said:
Did you ever think if you God forbid had a fire and lost your mac and hard drive? Do you have copies of your important docs, pics, etc. stored off-site?
Most (but perhaps not all) of the important files are backed up on a drive at work as well. They're just copies, not a bootable backup like the drive I just bought, but it offers some additional protection. But you make a good point.

By the way, I did my second backup tonight, this time using SuperDuper's "Smart Update" option, and it only took about 15 minutes (as opposed to the full backup last week which took a little over one hour).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.