Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jul 13, 2006, 03:16 PM   #1
madmaxmedia
macrumors 68030

Send a message via Yahoo to madmaxmedia
Shuffle question- does pairing with new computer erase ALL contents?

Hi,

I just got a Shuffle to serve as music player and thumb drive.

I primarily intend to pair the Shuffle with my home Mac for loading music. My question is this- if I decide to pair with another computer later, will it erase all my drive files, or just erase the iTunes-loaded music?

Thanks!!
madmaxmedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 03:29 PM   #2
devilot
Moderator emeritus

Just make sure that your shuffle's preferences is set to not automatically "autofill" or whatnot; set it to manual. Then you should be fine.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 03:32 PM   #3
dejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmedia
...if I decide to pair with another computer later, will it erase all my drive files, or just erase the iTunes-loaded music?
It should only erase the iTunes-loaded music and leave the drive files alone.
dejo is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 03:52 PM   #4
Viking Quest
macrumors member

A lot of people don't get this concept. Simply set your ipod settings to "manual" not "automatic" uploading.
Viking Quest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 06:42 PM   #5
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Quest
A lot of people don't get this concept. Simply set your ipod settings to "manual" not "automatic" uploading.
The shuffle is a little different -- you don't get this option. The moment you plug a shuffle into a Mac that wasn't the one to which was previous paired, it asks if you want to erase the music on it and link to the new Mac's iTunes library.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 08:01 PM   #6
Littleodie914
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly
The shuffle is a little different -- you don't get this option. The moment you plug a shuffle into a Mac that wasn't the one to which was previous paired, it asks if you want to erase the music on it and link to the new Mac's iTunes library.
Very true... This has happened to my girlfriend's iPod a couple times. I guess the only solution is to set it to manual update the first time you plug it in and just leave it like that.
Littleodie914 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 08:20 PM   #7
Counterfit
macrumors 601

Quote:
I thought all iPods did that...
Old Jul 13, 2006, 08:22 PM   #8
madmaxmedia
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo
It should only erase the iTunes-loaded music and leave the drive files alone.
Okay, seems like there is some confusion from non-Shuffle users.

Anyways, hopefully this is the correct answer. I'll test it out to be sure, before risking losing any files. I'll post back with what happens.

Thanks!
Old Jul 13, 2006, 08:35 PM   #9
2nyRiggz
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to 2nyRiggz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Quest
Doesn't work with the shuffle....If the shuffle detects another itunes it will ask to be placed on that itunes and will erased all songs of itself.

Your non-music files should be alright.

Bless
Old Jul 13, 2006, 08:35 PM   #10
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counterfit
I thought all iPods did that...
Other iPods can be set through the preferences to either sync or not sync with the iTunes library. If the latter option is chosen, new music must be added to the iPod library manually. Apple assumes that you aren't going to be able to store your entire iTunes library on a shuffle, so it is filled with a subset either from a designated playlist or by a random grab from the iTunes library.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 01:09 AM   #11
madmaxmedia
macrumors 68030

Here's the difference between the Shuffle and all other iPods:

1. Regular iPods can be connected to different computers, and you can copy music from each computer to the iPod. And of course you can play music from the iPod in iTunes, but you can copy music from iPod to the computer (at least through iTunes).

2. The Shuffle can only be paired with a single computer. If you first pair with one computer, then plug it into another, iTunes will ask you if you want to connect with the new computer, but it will erase all the songs first.

It has nothing to do with synchronization, it's some sort of wonky copy protection type thing only on Shuffles.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 01:30 AM   #12
dejo

Quote:
It has nothing to do with synchronization, it's some sort of wonky copy protection type thing only on Shuffles.
But the non-Itunes, drive files were fine, right?
Old Jul 14, 2006, 03:23 AM   #13
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
No, it's got nothing to do with copy protection. This is just how the shuffle works, for the reasons explained previously. It is designed to play only one playlist, not to store your entire music collection.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 01:13 PM   #14
madmaxmedia
macrumors 68030

Quote:
No, it's got nothing to do with copy protection. This is just how the shuffle works, for the reasons explained previously. It is designed to play only one playlist, not to store your entire music collection.
No, that has nothing to do with it either. With an iPod Shuffle you cannot:

1. Load 10 songs from computer 1 (say home Mac).

2. Plug Shuffle in to computer 2 (say PowerBook at work), and load another 10 songs, for a total of 20 songs.

You can do this on any other iPod. In between 'playing only 1 playlist', and 'storing your entire music collection' lies a wide range of possibilities, depending on how an individual manages his music. My home computer has my entire music collection, my notebook does not.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 01:15 PM   #15
madmaxmedia
macrumors 68030

Quote:
But the non-Itunes, drive files were fine, right?
Hey dejo, that is exactly the question I posed in my first post!

Someone above posted that the non-music files would be fine. I haven't tested it yet, but I'm inclined to agree. But for me to test it, I have to backup my files first, then re-pair. I will get around to trying it eventually though-

(for now I'm just hitting 'no' when the dialog box pops up when I connect to another computer.)
Old Jul 14, 2006, 01:25 PM   #16
dejo

Quote:
I haven't tested it yet, but I'm inclined to agree. But for me to test it, I have to backup my files first, then re-pair. I will get around to trying it eventually though
Just to let you know I have tested it. Whether you say Yes or No to re-pairing the iPod shuffle, the drive files remain in place, untouched. I just want to make sure you have the same experience. If not, wouldn't make the shuffle much of a "flash drive", would it?
Old Jul 14, 2006, 01:30 PM   #17
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
No, that has nothing to do with it either. With an iPod Shuffle you cannot:

1. Load 10 songs from computer 1 (say home Mac).

2. Plug Shuffle in to computer 2 (say PowerBook at work), and load another 10 songs, for a total of 20 songs.

You can do this on any other iPod. In between 'playing only 1 playlist', and 'storing your entire music collection' lies a wide range of possibilities, depending on how an individual manages his music. My home computer has my entire music collection, my notebook does not.
Hah. You claim I'm wrong but don't introduce a single contradictory fact. You're simply restating what I've already said (twice) about the difference between the way the shuffle and other iPods work.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 02:05 PM   #18
madmaxmedia
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Hah. You claim I'm wrong but don't introduce a single contradictory fact. You're simply restating what I've already said (twice) about the difference between the way the shuffle and other iPods work.
I'm glad you got a laugh. You claimed I was wrong and didn't introduce a single contradictory fact either.

I agree that copy protection probably has nothing to do with it, because there's no good reason for it at all. There's no point in limiting a Shuffle to only 1 pairng at a time, that's what my example was for. I am completely cognizant that a Shuffle isn't designed to store your entire music collection. But why not be able to dump songs onto it from more than 1 computer? The 1GB Nano can.

It's no big deal, right? The Shuffle is just a little wonky compared to other iPods in that it can only pair with a single computer. Let's just leave it at that-
Old Jul 14, 2006, 02:06 PM   #19
madmaxmedia
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Just to let you know I have tested it. Whether you say Yes or No to re-pairing the iPod shuffle, the drive files remain in place, untouched. I just want to make sure you have the same experience. If not, wouldn't make the shuffle much of a "flash drive", would it?
True that. Thanks for testing!!

I figured it would be okay, and other data would be left alone. But with these sorts of things you want to be 100% sure, right?

EDIT- I just tried it, and got the same result as you- my files were untouched.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by madmaxmedia; Jul 14, 2006 at 02:22 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 02:08 PM   #20
b3beater
macrumors member

I just bought my young daughter a shuffle for her birthday. Now I filed up up with songs from my computer but she lives with her mom. If she plugs it into another computer to charge is that going to be a problem?
b3beater is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 02:17 PM   #21
madmaxmedia
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3beater
I just bought my young daughter a shuffle for her birthday. Now I filed up up with songs from my computer but she lives with her mom. If she plugs it into another computer to charge is that going to be a problem?
She can charge from the other computer. But when she plugs it in, iTunes will open up and give her the following message:

The iPod "Jane's iPod" is linked to another iTunes music library. Do you want to change the link to this iTunes music library and replace all existing songs on this iPod with those from this library?

Just have hit 'No', and it will leave the Shuffle alone. It will charge, it just won't show up in iTunes.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 08:32 PM   #22
Counterfit
macrumors 601

Quote:
Other iPods can be set through the preferences to either sync or not sync with the iTunes library.
Okay, I see what you're saying now. I know larger ones give you that prompt, but they do allow you to change the setting in the prefs, while the shuffle doesn't.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 09:48 PM   #23
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
I'm glad you got a laugh. You claimed I was wrong and didn't introduce a single contradictory fact either.
Actually, I did. I explained how the shuffle works, how it operates differently from other iPods, and why. A couple of times or more in fact.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 06:25 AM   #24
tobio
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to tobio
The shuffle is a lot more simple than a "real" iPod. When you connect it to a second computer it will ask if you want to pair up with this new computer. just say no.

Then you can browse to the hidden folder iPod_Control/Music and drop all the files back into itunes. The file names are all wacky like BRDH.mp3 but itunes reads the tag information and puts it all back together. Then re-connect your ipod and pair it up with the new computer.

You never loose the contents of the ordinary part of the drive unless you go and delete them, in fact even if you turn off the option to use the ipod as a disk the files still stay there unless you delete them first.
tobio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 01:02 PM   #25
madmaxmedia
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Actually, I did. I explained how the shuffle works, how it operates differently from other iPods, and why. A couple of times or more in fact.
You tried. But why force the user to erase all stored music, just to connect the Shuffle to another computer? Why can't I load some songs on my Shuffle from 1 computer, then load some more (say at work)?

Sometimes I autofill. But sometimes I pick and choose songs, which I can do as long as it's only from 1 computer. I don't see a reason for the 1 computer limit, and you haven't given a good reason for it either. There's no benefit for Apple to take away this capability.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod