Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kodex1717

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
I have an eMac 1.25 Ghz with 512mb of RAM. ATi radeon 9200 w/ 32mb vram.

It started about a month ago, but only in World of Warcraft at first. At first it only happened now and then, but then it kept happening more and more often until it will just freeze when I load up my charcter. About a week before it totally crapped out, random polygons started light up, makeing everything look like a giant disco dance floor.

But now it will freeze in other programs too (no disco). I've stopped playing WoW because I can't anymore. So I mostly just browse the web. It will freeze about 3-4 times a day just doing that.

And I don't know if it helps, but sometimes when it froze I was still able to talk on Ventrilo with my guildmates, although I couldn't exit WoW. But now it usually won't let me talk back, or the audio will just skip.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Sounds an awful lot like your graphics chip is dying, which is a bummer since it's integrated in the eMac and not exactly easy to replace. It could be an OS issue, but that seems unlikely based on the sympoms.

Two things to try, if you haven't already: Break out the discs that came with it and run the Hardware Test disc. This will do a quick and dirty check, and if IT reports errors, then you know for sure it's hardware, and it'll probably tell you what piece, specifically. If it happens to be under warranty (I'm guessing no?), then get it fixed. Even if that gives you a clean bill of health, it doesn't mean the hardware is ok, just that it can't detect the problem.

If, however, you don't get any hardware errors while running that check, you could try reinstalling the OS and see if it helps. Probably not, but if you're going to have to get it fixed or call it dead anyway, it's worth a shot.

Again, this is assuming it's not still under warranty. If you are, run the hardware check disc, then call Apple regardless of what it tells you (if it gives an error, that'll just make your life easier on the phone with them).

kodex1717

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
Damn, I figured as much, I guess I'll break out the disk then. But it prolly won't matter, seeing as how there's no warenty. =(

EDIT: Aww fudge, I can't find the disk. Guess I'll just have to take it to apple store and pay them to look at it then.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Sounds to me like you're having "Distorted Video" problems, so I'll bet your're covered. At the very least, they can't blame you for bringing it in thinking you do based on the symptoms, even if it turns out to be something totally unrelated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.