Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Some may remember about 4 weeks ago I had a constant rebooting problem with my iMac G5 (rev b IIRC, it was the G5 just before the adding of the iSight). After some frustration of two visits to drop the iMac off for repair (stupid me for expecting that showing up before the doors opened would allow me not to wait till 8PM for the first Genus appointment for that day. :eek: ).

So after my second visit a day later, the next day my iMac was repaired. They replaced the power supply. All was well till this week when the same problem showed up again. :eek: Now they are replacing the logic board.

I am concerned, despite assurances, that there could be no problems with the second power supply. Is this possible, or could I be facing yet a third visit weeks down the road?

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Sounds very familiar. My Rev B iMac is also currently broken. It's had its PSU replaced before and now the logic board has gone - it won't power up. I haven't had a chance to back mine up and take it in for repair yet but must do so asap.

Hope they get yours working soon! Believe me, I know how frustrating this is and the 20" is heavy to lug around. What makes things more annoying is that mine is wall-mounted so taking it in for repair means having to detach the VESA plate and reattach the normal desk stand every time... :rolleyes:

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
dietcokevanilla said:
Sounds very familiar. My Rev B iMac is also currently broken. It's had its PSU replaced before and now the logic board has gone - it won't power up. I haven't had a chance to back mine up and take it in for repair yet but must do so asap.

I share your pain. Add to that I was given a 9:15AM appointment (which was fine by me), yet Tyson Corner Mall does not open up the main parking lots till like 9:30 or 10:00AM. So I had to park in a loading zone that had a 30 minute limit (heck, I am an older guy with a bad knee - refuse to apply for handicap plates, my knee is not that bad; but bad enough that I don't want extra stairs or a longer walk with the likes of the 20" iMac under my arm).

What ticks me off is that I have AppleCare. Yet to make the most of my limited "free time" - I work retail - I am being told that I need the ProCare Plan. :eek: Otherwise I have play the waiting game for a G Bar appointment that may just be a pain.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Well I got my iMac G5 back today, and guess what the same problem after a motherboard replacement. :eek: :mad:

So now I have a new CPU and motherboard, and no solution as of yet.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
iGary said:
Time to craft a well-written letter to exectutive relations, documenting everything from the start.

Thanks for the support. I am thinking one more try at a repair, before going that route. Figure that three times and their are out would work nicely.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
They may have been correct when they figured out there was a dead power supply. But what they may have failed to deal with is the power supply may have been undervolting the equipment for awhile. Which means most of the hardware is damaged and will fail in the future which would explain why the logic-board went. Good luck. But if there is one more problem try get a replacement.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
I think most lemon laws specify three repair attempts for the same problem, but I think they also specify a time frame from purchase. Of course, Apple usually replaces units if they go in a 3rd or 4th time for the same issue, so hopefully it'll get resolved either way.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Counterfit said:
I think most lemon laws specify three repair attempts for the same problem, but I think they also specify a time frame from purchase. Of course, Apple usually replaces units if they go in a 3rd or 4th time for the same issue, so hopefully it'll get resolved either way.

Well my iMac is just one year old. :eek: And this third repair attempt (when I bring in tomorrow) in the last 30 days.

ironic23

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
Did you buy the system online? I usually buy my macs through this specific person through the phone and she gives me the most awesome service. If there's a problem she tries to get me a replacement unit for me without too much explanations. Especially if you buy Apple Care protection, she will treat you with the utmost urgency. But yeah, bug them for a replacement unit.

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
Were iMac G5s rushed into development, or what? i have heard of a lemon, but it sounds like EVERYTHING is messed up on this guys computer. No wonder they weren't using G5s that long...

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Apple Customer Relations have replaced 2 of my Macs before;
17" PB G4 Alu and a 17" iMac G5 RevA

I have been told both times that after 3 "major" repairs I could get a new replacement. Logic board, power supply, screen, hard drive were all considered major repairs while optical drive is not or was not when my machines were repaired.
If it happens again call Customer Relations and request a new machine.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Ugh, sorry to hear it's still not fixed. :mad: Hope they can do something with it today.

As for my lemon, I managed to swap the hard disk out and back it up yesterday. Was planning on lugging it in to work with me one day this week and then taking it on the tube to the store at lunchtime, but given that it's supposed to be 35C in London this week, I don't fancy that idea much. The stupid shop isn't open outside of my working hours :rolleyes:

Let us know how it goes today... *fingers crossed*

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Update as of this morning

Got at the Apple Store at 9:00AM. The Genius was late, so one of the managers took care of me after handling the 9AM appointment.

Kindness goes along way I guess. I was firm, but tried to be jovial over the trials and tribulations of the 'constantly rebooting iMac". I asked for the date of my first repair. It could not be found. :eek: I mentioned that I wanted that info in case I had to go to Cuptino if this third repair didn't fix the issue.

The manager I was working with, said not to worry. Because I was so nice about everything, she would personally see to it that I got a replacement if I had problems after this third attempt. Regardless of the missing repair record. :)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Chip NoVaMac said:
Got at the Apple Store at 9:00AM. The Genius was late, so one of the managers took care of me after handling the 9AM appointment.

Kindness goes along way I guess. I was firm, but tried to be jovial over the trials and tribulations of the 'constantly rebooting iMac". I asked for the date of my first repair. It could not be found. :eek: I mentioned that I wanted that info in case I had to go to Cuptino if this third repair didn't fix the issue.

The manager I was working with, said not to worry. Because I was so nice about everything, she would personally see to it that I got a replacement if I had problems after this third attempt. Regardless of the missing repair record. :)
You didn't get a case number? I got a print out with my iPod Shuffle repair as proof it happened. I always make sure to get a support ticket number. It proves my support happened.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Chip NoVaMac said:

Well that's good news then :)

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Eidorian said:
You didn't get a case number? I got a print out with my iPod Shuffle repair as proof it happened. I always make sure to get a support ticket number. It proves my support happened.

I have that paperwork buried here somewhere. :eek: I know better now on keeping repair records.

BTW, another manager, that is a customer of mine, caught up with as I was leaving. We chatted about what was going on with my iMac. He tossed out that it could be my HDD. :eek: They will try to boot off an external HDD and see if the problem replicates itself. I am now hoping that 10.4.6 and 10.4.7 and my software is not the issue.

A side question, if the iMac needs to be replaced - what will they replace it with? Will they make me wait till another iMac G5 20" comes available as a refurb, or will it be a new Intel iMac?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Chip NoVaMac said:
A side question, if the iMac needs to be replaced - what will they replace it with? Will they make me wait till another iMac G5 20" comes available as a refurb, or will it be a new Intel iMac?
There's a slim chance of an Intel iMac. I know someone that had their iBook replace with the low end MacBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.