Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 13, 2005
I have an opportunity to buy a 12" iBook cheap tomorrow at an auction. It has the original box but I would have to buy a power adapter for it. It is an 800 MHz G4 with 32 MB VRAM Rad 9200, 256 MB RAM, 30 GB HDD, without Airport and BT. I really would prefer a MacBook but I want to wait for the Santa Rosa chipset and so I thought this might tide me over until then.

I know this might have MB problems--I need to check the Serial #--but I am curious what you think it might be worth. I was thinking about $50 to $100 max since it doesn't even power up without the power adapter and I have no idea if it will need a new battery. Also, does anyone know if Apple is still honoring the MB recall if this iBook fits into the serial numbers recalled?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

PS--the auction is at 9:30 AM on Sat., July 15, 2006, so there is no use posting after about 9:00 AM (EST) that day.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
It's worth a good deal more than $50, even if it works. The screen alone is probably worth $75 at the LEAST. The HD another $25-30, keyboard $30, etc.

I would pay up to $225 for it personally at an auction without knowing anything about the condition.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
ITASOR said:
It's worth a good deal more than $50, even if it doesn't work.

Fixed that for ya.

Also, I concur about it being worth about $225 sight unseen. It could be more, but you would need to know more about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.