Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jul 15, 2006, 10:50 AM   #1
Powerbookdriver
macrumors newbie

Funny isn't it (no respect for G4 Powerbooks)

Isn't it funny how so many individuals are now treating the G4 Powerbooks like second rate pieces of crap. All I hear is MBP this and MBP that, give the G4 Powerbook's their just respect. They were and continue to be good machines that perform their tasks well. The Macbook Pro is a wonderful machine, however, some still perfer the Powerbooks. Maybe I have an emotional attachment to mine and maybe not. One thing I hate is some in here sound like PC owners bragging about their latest buy. I thought being a Mac owner was more a life style rather than an ego trip?

Ipod Mini 4g

Last edited by Powerbookdriver; Jul 15, 2006 at 11:01 AM.
Powerbookdriver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 11:10 AM   #2
andy89
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to andy89
I totally agree. Theres nothing wrong with G4 powerbooks, yours owns everything I have .
andy89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 11:10 AM   #3
thegreatluke
macrumors 6502a

That's the way it is with every new product and revision.

We Mac users are spoiled, spoiled people.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 11:12 AM   #4
BlizzardBomb
macrumors 68030

G4 PBs are definitely not crap. They are still very capable machines. As for people bragging about their latest buy, while there's been more of those kind of threads, I think its been the norm for a while.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 11:15 AM   #5
andy89
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to andy89
Not every mac user can afford to be spoiled. I started saving for a G4, then the G5's cames out and the price went up, so I had to save up for a bit longer, and now the mac pros are going to come out. But hopefully this time I will have enough for a fully loaded one
andy89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 11:25 AM   #6
Powerbookdriver
macrumors newbie

I think part of the problem is people today are not satisfied. They are consumed with obtaining more and never really use what they have. It's all about impressing others. We have the need to feel important, so we go out pay for something we don't really need and it gives us that false sense of importance.

Free yourself and be content! I will upgrade when my current Powerbook only when I need too.

Ipod Mini 4g
Powerbookdriver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 12:20 PM   #7
Skeeball236
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Skeeball236
del

Last edited by Skeeball236; Sep 4, 2006 at 11:16 AM.
Skeeball236 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 12:33 PM   #8
mac000
macrumors 6502a

G4's are so '99
mac000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 12:36 PM   #9
steamboat26
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to steamboat26 Send a message via Yahoo to steamboat26
I have a stupid newbie question: why was the G5 processor never implemented in ibooks, powerbooks, or mac minis? Was it just not around long enough, or was it not designed for laptops, or did it run too hot to be used in laptops?
steamboat26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 12:48 PM   #10
TheAnswer
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboat26
I have a stupid newbie question: why was the G5 processor never implemented in ibooks, powerbooks, or mac minis? Was it just not around long enough, or was it not designed for laptops, or did it run too hot to be used in laptops?
Not designed for laptops and WAY too hot.

I think the fact the G5 never made it to the powerbooks is why people are looking down on the G4s now, because they waited so long for a decent revision. Imagine if the PowerMacs went from G3 to G5, with the difference of two generations of processors, the same situation would probably exist.
TheAnswer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 01:13 PM   #11
Passante
macrumors 6502a

Well my 12 in PB is starting to look a little old. She's only 3 years old but next to a sexy black MacBook with a gorgeous wide screen.....
Old Jul 15, 2006, 01:19 PM   #12
BlizzardBomb
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnswer
Not designed for laptops and WAY too hot.

I think the fact the G5 never made it to the powerbooks is why people are looking down on the G4s now, because they waited so long for a decent revision. Imagine if the PowerMacs went from G3 to G5, with the difference of two generations of processors, the same situation would probably exist.
No it was not. If PC companies can get P4s in laptops a G5 laptop was easily possible. Look at the iMac for example.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 01:26 PM   #13
codo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerbookdriver
I think part of the problem is people today are not satisfied. They are consumed with obtaining more and never really use what they have. It's all about impressing others. We have the need to feel important, so we go out pay for something we don't really need and it gives us that false sense of importance.

Free yourself and be content! I will upgrade when my current Powerbook only when I need too.
You should watch the film/doc "The Corporation", you would probably find it interesting, if you havenít already seen it.
codo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 02:03 PM   #14
NorCalLights
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlizzardBomb
No it was not. If PC companies can get P4s in laptops a G5 laptop was easily possible. Look at the iMac for example.
Except that the PC laptops that have desktop processors in them are 2" (or more) thick and sound like helicopters. I'm actually glad that Apple didn't take the easy way out and sacrifice the design of their product to squeeze in a new processor.
NorCalLights is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 02:10 PM   #15
Electro Funk
macrumors 65816

Quote:
actually, yes it was... the G5 ran way too hot to fit in the small form factor of apple portables... the iMac is a desktop... not portable.

do you really think apple just said "F" it .... and just skipped over the g5 upgrades for their portables when their was such a high demand for them
Old Jul 15, 2006, 02:21 PM   #16
dmw007
macrumors 603

Quote:
Isn't it funny how so many individuals are now treating the G4 Powerbooks like second rate pieces of crap. All I hear is MBP this and MBP that, give the G4 Powerbook's their just respect. They were and continue to be good machines that perform their tasks well. The Macbook Pro is a wonderful machine, however, some still perfer the Powerbooks. Maybe I have an emotional attachment to mine and maybe not. One thing I hate is some in here sound like PC owners bragging about their latest buy. I thought being a Mac owner was more a life style rather than an ego trip?

See what happens when a computer company makes the switch from using PowerPC to chips from "evil inside".
dmw007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 02:37 PM   #17
Killyp
macrumors 68040

I think the reason most people are talking about the MacBook Pros is because so many people have them.

For people like me, it was easier to be able to think that when buying a MacBook Pro, I could move over to the familiar Windows if I didn't like OS X. Obviously, that's not the case, but this seems to be how a lot of people see it...
Killyp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 02:40 PM   #18
erikamsterdam
macrumors regular

I am sorry for the G4 owners, but the Intel machines are *so* much faster that yes, suddenly the G4 is very outdated. It has been outdated for years anyway, there was just nothing else available if you wanted to by a Mac portable.
The only thing you G4 owners can enjoy is lots more software. Still missing quite a bit for Intel, like Flip4Mac or Audacity. Rosetta is not the most stable thing on the planet
erikamsterdam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 02:41 PM   #19
Skeeball236
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Skeeball236
del

Last edited by Skeeball236; Sep 4, 2006 at 11:17 AM.
Skeeball236 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 02:43 PM   #20
UKnjb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

FWIW, I so agree with you on your main points (maybe not the "impressing others"; I neither know nor care about that). I also have a Powerbook G4 (Al) and Powermac G4 and they do all I want or need. And for similar reasons, I am still chundering on with Panther - no obvious need to go to Tiger. Everything does me just fine, as I hope yours does you.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 02:51 PM   #21
Dane D.
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeball236
Titanium Powerbooks are pieces of crap....
Couldn't agree more. I use a Ti667Mhz coupled to a BetterLight Super 8k scanback camera system. Long boot time, unstable when running camera software, color of screen is nowhere the color on the LaCie 19" hooked into the video port, even after calibration. I still use OS 9.2.2 for the camera system because it is SCSI, using a Ratoc SCSI card CB31. Adaptec card wouldn't even work in it. Plus, I ran that Geekbench mark program that was posted in the forums last a couple of days, it's slower than my G4/466 digital audio unit.
MacBookPro 13",OS10.8
Dane D. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 02:53 PM   #22
dextertangocci
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to dextertangocci
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy89
Not every mac user can afford to be spoiled. I started saving for a G4, then the G5's cames out and the price went up, so I had to save up for a bit longer, and now the mac pros are going to come out. But hopefully this time I will have enough for a fully loaded one
Wow, you are patient!
dextertangocci is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 02:57 PM   #23
iGary

What I love is how the same people that were poo-pooing Intel with every fiber of their being last year all of the sudden think Intel is the best thing since sliced bread.

You still can't run Adobe or Macromedia for crap on an Intel chip.

I love both my PPC machines.
iGary is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 03:05 PM   #24
dextertangocci
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeball236
Titanium Powerbooks are pieces of crap....I've gone through two of them, both died of logic board failure within 3 years. Both had the video fritz problem, which is a precursor to LB failure.

Both were more expensive to repair than what they were worth.

Thank goodness I didn't sell my Pismo, 6 years running strong....
I don't think so! I know someone who is a graphic designer, and still uses his 400Mhz tiBook with 384MB RAM and 10GB HD for ALL his work in photoshop. It still works perfectly (except for the battery, which after like 5 years, only holds a 10 minute chrage) He is only going to upgrade in the next week to a 17" MBP.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 03:07 PM   #25
dextertangocci
macrumors 68000

Quote:
The main issue was the battery life. Oh yes, and the heat.

Steve Jobs gave a detailed explanation of why they didn't put a G5 into the PB's at the last Macworld Keynote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs