Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Don't you hate that at the end of an interview? You almost feel like saying "no, no you won't give me a call back why don't you just tell me what you were displeased with". But alas you can't muster the courage to even ask that and you muddle your way out of the interviewers office depressed. Meh, /end rant. All im sayin' is, the job market is tough and you wonder to yourself "you know I would be the perfect canidate for this job, but no no..."and then you see some moron in the position you want who can't even handle a customer in front of your own eyes... go figure eh?:eek:

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
CubaTBird said:
Don't you hate that at the end of an interview? You almost feel like saying "no, no you won't give me a call back why don't you just tell me what you were displeased with". But alas you can't muster the courage to even ask that and you muddle your way out of the interviewers office depressed. Meh, /end rant. All im sayin' is, the job market is tough and you wonder to yourself "you know I would be the perfect canidate for this job, but no no..."and then you see some moron in the position you want who can't even handle a customer in front of your own eyes... go figure eh?:eek:

I recently got "Somebody will be in touch within four weeks". What does that mean?! It was a job fair for a new store and I was applying for a stockboy/bagger type position...guh. Whatever. Stupid New Seasons.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Felldownthewell said:
I recently got "Somebody will be in touch within four weeks". What does that mean?! It was a job fair for a new store and I was applying for a stockboy/bagger type position...guh. Whatever. Stupid New Seasons.

yeah, i have gotten the "and someone in higher management will get back to you" and im like um it says your the executive manager on your name tag.. go figure.. again...:eek:

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
CubaTBird said:
yeah, i have gotten the "and someone in higher management will get back to you" and im like um it says your the executive manager on your name tag.. go figure.. again...:eek:

Well obviously he is talking about the executive vice president of politely blowing off, who is, in fact, higher than the executive manager of politely blowing off, but not quite as high as the CEO-president-manager of politely blowing off.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
CubaTBird said:

The best thing to do is not to act nervous and just casually ask what you did wrong, or what you did/didn't do that gave him a bad impression. If you get into a more natural conversation, he might actually remember you after interviewing 20-30 other people and give you the benefit of the doubt. People only hire someone they like. It's hard to turn down someone they think is great.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Abstract said:
The best thing to do is not to act nervous and just casually ask what you did wrong, or what you did/didn't do that gave him a bad impression. If you get into a more natural conversation, he might actually remember you after interviewing 20-30 other people and give you the benefit of the doubt. People only hire someone they like. It's hard to turn down someone they think is great.

Most definitely...pick up on something and chat briefly after the interview is open. Keep it easy and you'll stick in their minds.

Think: 50 red cups all in a row. You must pick the right one. But one of them has a blue stripe on it!

That blue striped cup is the person who can have a natural conversation with the manager. Don't talk about work. :p

If they have pictures of their kids on their desk, or sports team logos/banners in their office, either of those is pretty much failsafe.

I've talked my way through the absolute toughest situations by knowing to bring up the Giant's latest winning streak with Dave, or Lori's baby grandkids. :D

Don't talk about the weather.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
sound advice. thank god, i am not in a situation right now, that i am applying for a job. but that advice sounds very good that i will remember it, once i do get to that situation.

humor btw is also positive thing to have during a job interview.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Let me tell you what I think is even worse than that ... and I'm guilty of it too.

We'll pass your resume / application / stats / whatever along to somebody else. I used to tell people that, and it mostly meant they went in my rejected pile. I used to think when I was a career fair it was mostly the f off line, thanks but not interested type thing. I had no evidence otherwise until this spring.

I was shopping around for an internship, and I was at the career fair, and I stopped by a both, the people were rather nice, but they let me know that I was "too old" for their internship (they preferred two summers meaning they were looking for a sophomore not a junior). They looked at my resume and were impressed but and said they would pass it along; possible full time consideration (i'm graduating a semester early). I kind of smiled and thanked them, but thought I was just getting moved along. This was September 2005, In March 2006, I got an email to call them about an interview ... so I guess in some rare circumstances things are actually passed along.

ejb190

macrumors 65816
I have had that happen as well. I just casually ask, "Who can I expect to hear from and how soon." The look on their face usually tells me everything I need to know.

I had the best interview last fall. The folks showed me the company, told me what they expected from me and the position, told me what they thought of my background and the strengths and weaknesses I had for this job. They told me what the pay and the job would be, the direction for advancement, and the type of training. They asked me a lot of questions about my family and my work ethics. Questions they probably shouldn't have asked, but they were also very open when I asked similar question. Basically, they layed all the cards on the table (Mine and theirs).

Then they turned the whole thing around, told me to go home and think about it and call them on Monday if I thought I belonged with their company.

I was never uncomfortable there and I really enjoyed talking to them. But in the end, I turned them down. It was just a different direction then I wanted to go.

But to this day, that was the best interview I have even had.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.