Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Addo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
I have searched through the threads similar to this but couldn't find what I needed - maybe I just lost the will to survive and missed the info! :rolleyes:

When I bought my 17" MBP I bought a day later a Crumpler Beer packer ( or thereabouts) but I wasn't entirely happy about the fit - the MBP seemed almost to be about 15mm too long and when zipped up I could see the corners of the MBP pushing the zip out. That bag got Ebay'd and I replaced it with an STM Large Loop. The fit was better, but I can't fit too much into it!! It would be fine as a bag to use if you had to carry paperwork/books, etc as that's all the compartments will allow you to take. Also the straps are not as well padded as the Crumplers and, bearing in mind we're talking about a bag that's fully laden weigh close on 8-9 Kgs, they do dig in and become a little bit uncomfortable over time. I'm saying this as I didn't really use the Crumpler that much before flogging it on ebay.

I use a motorbike to get to work which means that I need a bag that will swallow a 17" MBP and allow me to throw in my clothes ( really only a pair of jeans) and a pair of trainers and all the usual accessories that I would normally carry to work. The STM although big enough, doesn't permit me to put the trainers in so I'm now forced to use another bag for my clothes and strap that on the back of the bike - and that is boring and time consuming!:p

I'm not that bothered by the cost although cheaper the better. I have looked at Booq and Brenthaven stuff but to me they do almost look like a generic laptop backpack. The trouble is that most of the places that stock these bags are predominently online sellers which makes the whole process a lottery!

Does anyone have any recommendations? As long as they are waterproof!!:D

Many thanks in advance! :) and sorry for the long post!

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
I have always liked timbuk2 bags. I have one for my current laptop and i really enjoy it.

The bag I have is the "commute" and it's sized for a 15" mac. There is a larger size, the commute XL, sized precisely for the 17". That would leave you enough room for a shirt and pants, and MAYBE a pair of shoes, but it might be tight.

The other suggestion I have is to get a "large" sized version of their classic messenger bag. They make compatible laptop sleeves, and that would most certainly swallow all your stuff. Additionally, they're designed to be used on a bike and have great stabilizer straps and reflective tabs.

You can design one in custom colors in their traditional 3-panel design on the classic messenger, so you can make one as unique as you like! You can also add extra features that way.

The bags are made of ballistic nylon, fully waterproof lined, with good little storage pockets and available add ons. That plus the custom colors and great laptop sleeves mean this is the company I turn to every time I need a new bag.

I highly reccomend them. They are not cheap but I still have my first timbuk2 bag that I bought in 1998, and it still looks brand new.

take a look: http://www.timbuk2.com

17luv

macrumors member
May 15, 2006
I was pleasantly surprised to find that my Swiss bookbag (sorry not sure the maker name, they are the ones that make the swiss knives) fit my mbp 17" with room to spare in the other compartments for things like books or for you jeans and a pair of shoes. The padding is great too on the shoulders and back. Mine also is in a nice gender neutral red and black. You might try that. Good luck with the bag hunt :) Let me know if you run across any feminine bags in your search T_T women like big macs too why are all the cute ones just made for 15"?!?

Kelmon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2005
United Kingdom
This doesn't help too much but I'm soon going to be in much the same situation (sans the motorbike, mind) and have been trying to do some research on a suitable bag to hold a 17" MBP plus associated bits and books. I'm only really looking for a backpack since they are much more comfortable for traveling with and don't tend to get in the way. The Brenthaven that I bought for my old PowerBook Ti is acceptable but I'm ready for a change and their current selection looks a little bland (plus it's not big enough for a 17"). So far I think I've narrowed my search down to either the STM Large Loop or Booq Python XL. However, your comments have put me off the STM a bit so that's a worry...

Anyway, suggestions would also be most welome.

T-Stex

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2006
Pennsylvania
How about the Hybrid Softpack from Axio. The bag looks a little bit different than most backpacks out there, but I like it. I'm looking for a backpack, and would have bought this one, if it weren't so big. I think I read that it's about 2600 cubic inches. It fits the 17" MacBook Pro, with room to spare, and I think it looks great.

EDIT: It looks like this bag also comes with a removable laptop sleeve, for a 17" laptop.

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
17luv said:
I was pleasantly surprised to find that my Swiss bookbag (sorry not sure the maker name, they are the ones that make the swiss knives) fit my mbp 17" with room to spare in the other compartments for things like books or for you jeans and a pair of shoes. The padding is great too on the shoulders and back. Mine also is in a nice gender neutral red and black. You might try that. Good luck with the bag hunt :) Let me know if you run across any feminine bags in your search T_T women like big macs too why are all the cute ones just made for 15"?!?

I almost bought this for myself:

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/retail/catalog.htm?categoryId=74

it fits a 17" MBP but is still pretty petite, and I liked the simple styling. A friend has one and we've stuffed a 17" mac and some clothes in there before, no problem.

Again, I'm all about Timbuk2. The bag you're talking about is made by Victorinox (well, not really, they liscensed the name) but they're also good quality bags.

17luv

macrumors member
May 15, 2006
thanks feelthefire :) I saw that timbuk2 bag and was tempted but was looking more for a ladies handbag/tote that fits a 17" since I already have a bookbag that works :)

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
17luv said:
thanks feelthefire :) I saw that timbuk2 bag and was tempted but was looking more for a ladies handbag/tote that fits a 17" since I already have a bookbag that works :)

The size medium cargo tote with a laptop sleeve would accomodate that. I carry an LLBean totebag everywhere so I understand the need for a tote, but to fit a 17" it's gonna have to be big! Take a look at them- waterproof is a nice feature when you're carrying a laptop in a handbag.

Addo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
I 'think' that I've finally found a bag that might, just might fit my bill. I've just ordered a Pakuma K3 website here

I eventually tracked down a 'real' stockist and must've drove about 150 miles just to take a look at one and I think it might just work out for me. For starters the bag is facking huge and looks as if it will swallow my 17" MBP so god only knows how it will cope with my little MB when that turns up this week! :D Even though I gave it a fairly good going over I forgot to take my MBP + stuff, so it was hard to figure out exactly if it will swallow everything I need to put in it... *fingers crossed*

If anyone is interested - the official list price is £85 but the cheapest I found was £71 inc delivery from Techfever If the bag is no good it will either go back or end up on Ebay!

Oh...And it looks as if it's a British company too which is a bonus I think! :)

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
If your a biker why dont' you get the Axio Bike bag they have specifically made for that.

They have one thats gigantic and then one thats more areo dynamic. look under producs for second one, and First one is under Motorcycle Bags

http://www.axio-usa.com

Addo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
I did look at the Hybrid one...It's hard to judge, but from looking at the photos the main compartment doesn't look that deep - I could be wrong though! There doesn't seem to be that many stockists over here that have proper shops so that I could go and take a look at it in the flesh. If the Pakuma turns out to be a dud then I've found a place ( in Austria believe it or not!! ) that sells the Hybrid for about the same money as I'm paying currently. I haven't completely ruled out the Axio just yet! :)

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Addo said:
I did look at the Hybrid one...It's hard to judge, but from looking at the photos the main compartment doesn't look that deep - I could be wrong though! There doesn't seem to be that many stockists over here that have proper shops so that I could go and take a look at it in the flesh. If the Pakuma turns out to be a dud then I've found a place ( in Austria believe it or not!! ) that sells the Hybrid for about the same money as I'm paying currently. I haven't completely ruled out the Axio just yet! :)

Axio Swift is made for motorcycles, but a little small.

The Axio Tank Bag is also motorcycles, and is huge. Try those if you want.

Kelmon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2005
United Kingdom
Addo said:
I 'think' that I've finally found a bag that might, just might fit my bill. I've just ordered a Pakuma K3 website here

I eventually tracked down a 'real' stockist and must've drove about 150 miles just to take a look at one and I think it might just work out for me. For starters the bag is facking huge and looks as if it will swallow my 17" MBP so god only knows how it will cope with my little MB when that turns up this week! :D Even though I gave it a fairly good going over I forgot to take my MBP + stuff, so it was hard to figure out exactly if it will swallow everything I need to put in it... *fingers crossed*

If anyone is interested - the official list price is £85 but the cheapest I found was £71 inc delivery from Techfever If the bag is no good it will either go back or end up on Ebay!

Oh...And it looks as if it's a British company too which is a bonus I think! :)

Actually, the K3 does look pretty good. I'd really appreciate it if you can post another response to this thread or send me a private message to let me know what you think about the bag. The pictures make it look quite impressive, particularly with respect to being big enough and not looking like a laptop bag (I don't want a bag that screams "please mug me"). If the bag is well made and offers sufficient protection to the laptop then I could well be sold on this.

Oh, and can you report on whether the COCOON internal laptop sleeve is removable or not? Thanks.

Moshiiii

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
Sarasota, FL
feelthefire said:
I almost bought this for myself:

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/retail/catalog.htm?categoryId=74

it fits a 17" MBP but is still pretty petite, and I liked the simple styling. A friend has one and we've stuffed a 17" mac and some clothes in there before, no problem.

Again, I'm all about Timbuk2. The bag you're talking about is made by Victorinox (well, not really, they liscensed the name) but they're also good quality bags.

I use this pack also, its right next to me at work :D. I really like this backpack, its got style and I can fit enough all my gadgets in it.

Lincoln

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2003
UK
Addo said:

Addo,

Which bag did you get? I'm interested in the Pakuma for my Powerbook (and probably a MacBook Pro later).

TIA

Addo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Sorry I forgot to give an update!

I ended up with the Pakuma K3 bag. Size wise it's fairly big certainly big enough to take either my 17" MBP or MB and a change of clothes. The laptop compartment is non removeable and fairly well padded. I've got Tucano second skin sleeves on both my laptops so that makes a more snug fit in the laptop section of the bag - It seems this bag wasn't designed specifically for Apple products so the laptop compartment is fairly deep to accomodate the thickness of some PC laptops.

The only feature I'm really not too keen on is the pocket at the top of the bag - it's got a headphone entry point. Even though this pocket is waterproofed , water could still somehow creep through the opening but at least it won't get into the main compartment if the bag. Having said that, try finding a bag without this feature!

The straps aren't overly padded, but padded enough - the few times I've used the bag it hasn't been a problem, and with everything I put into it I reckon it must weigh close on 5-7Kg if not slightly more.

I would, however, preferred to have a couple more pockets internally - there certainly would be enough space to accomodate them - it would just make it that little bit more easier to organise my stuff - but as it is it isn't really an issue.

Lets face it whatever bag I get I would always be wanting some extra feature!

All in all, I'd recommend this bag - it's well constructed - the zips are sturdy and the materials used appear to be high quality. If I get some time I'll take a few pics but I doubt they'd be any different from those on Pakuma's site....

Hope that help a little! :)

Kelmon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2005
United Kingdom
Addo said:
If I get some time I'll take a few pics but I doubt they'd be any different from those on Pakuma's site....

Some more pictures would be very useful since Pakuma only provides 3 and I'd be very interested to see this backpack with a 17" MacBook Pro in it rather than the PC one shown on the web site. A shot of the MacBook Pro beside it would also be useful to get a good idea of the scale of the bag. Feel free to go nuts safe in the knowledge that you're helping out other Mac consumers who were in your position.

21stcenturykid

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2006
Newcastle UK
I got a TechAir 5504 in april in preparation for getting the 17" mbp lol!! i checked it with my m8s 15" mbp an it fitted with plenty of space so im assuming it will fit(that and the fact the website says it will fit the powerbook 17" an i think the mbp 17" is slightly smaller overall anyway!). its has plenty of compartments for nanything you want and it doesnt look too much liek a laptop bag either. also each bag has an idividual identification code so if it gets lost u can find it easier hopefully. just google TechAir 5504 for more details

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.